Error when saving image to external drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Modred, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Modred

Modred Registered Member

I just upgraded from True Image Home 10 to Home 2009. I tried to back up my internal hard drive by saving an image to an external NTFS-formatted drive and got the following message:

Failed to write to the sector 78,156,241 of the hard drive 1

I then tried to backup to an external fat32-formatted drive and got the message:

Failed to write to Sector 79 of the hard drive 1

I went back to TI-10 and was able to backup to both of these external drives without a problem.

Other possibly pertinent information:

* I'm doing a full backup using the normal method (not sector to sector).

* I encounter the above error messages when booting to True Image 2009 on an external flash drive and on a CD. I appear not to get these error messages when running the installed version of 2009 from my Windows partition.

* I do not have any error messages when running True Image 10 from the flash drive or a CD.

* I downloaded and installed the latest version of True Image 2009.

Thanks for the help.

2. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Try the backup to an external drive again but use the Acronis boot disk. Let us know if this works.

3. Modred

Modred Registered Member

Thanks for the response. I booted to the True Image CD that came in the box and received the same error messages. I clicked on ignore all error messages and True Image appeared to create the image on the external drive, but there was no image file there.

4. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Puzzling. I am thinking that perhaps the drivers in the newer version of Acronis are not compatible. Try Acronis Live Chat and they will issue you with an amended ISO file to create a new boot disk.

The only time that I have seen such an error message was creating a backup across several DVD's.

5. Modred

Modred Registered Member

Thanks for responding. I'll go back to TI 10 and hope they fix this issue in a future update. I'd be irritated about this, but I've been using TI since version 6, and it's saved me more time than I can count. I guess everyone messes up at some point. Thanks again!

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Check the disks for errors:

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r" (where DISK is the partition letter you need to check) for every partition that is visible in My Computer. Please note, that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

If the issue persists contact Acronis support and submit technical request using this link or contact us via Live Chat

Attach Acronis Report to support request:

Download Acronis Report utility available on this link and run it, create a report and send it to us. Please compress the Acronis Report output file into an archive (e.g. with WinZip) and attach to your message by browsing for the archive. This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.