Error when doing differential backup of Windows partition with hot processing off

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by MrBrian, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

In Backup and Recovery Free 10.1 x64 on Windows 7 x64, when I do a differential backup of the Windows partition with hot processing turned off, I receive the error message 'Can't open/create file' almost immediately after the 'Progess Information' window opens. The differential backup was not created. I checked and altered permissions of the backup volume to allow Everyone full access, but the same error message was given.

Doing the same backup except with hot processing turned on succeeded. Doing a full backup of the Windows partition with hot processing turned off succeeded.

Another issue: backups of the Windows partition created with hot processing turned off results in an archive whose modified time is off by exactly 6 hours from what it should have been.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Is there a reason why the hot processing should be turned off? Any backup that runs live in Windows should use Microsoft Volume Shadow Service by default, Paragon Hot Processing if there's conflict with the VSS. Otherwise you're risking data consistency if the drive is being modified during the backup.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

When hot processing is off and a volume is locked, B&R reboots Windows and loads a specialized mode upon reboot that carries out the desired tasks on the now unlocked volume(s). It is in this specialized mode that the differential backup always fails (tested numerous times). However, a full backup made in this specialized mode works. An advantage of using this specialized mode is that one is now backing up the operating system while it's not running, which is simpler and therefore perhaps less prone to bugs. However, due to the convenience of backing up with hot processing on, I didn't likely intend to keep hot processing off anyway, but this apparent bug deprives me of having that choice available.

Can somebody please try doing a differential backup in B&R Free v10.1 on a volume that needs to be locked (such as a system partition) with hot processing off, and reports if it works or not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.