Error: Scripts are usually safe. Do you allow scripts to run?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Becs, Dec 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becs

Becs Registered Member

Hi,

I need help. I installed Spywareblaster and Spywareguard some time ago and since then I've been getting messages when I use IE. It doesn't happen every time - but often enought to be rather annoying. The message I get is:

Scripts are usually safe. Do you allow scripts to run?

I have now uninstalled both SWG and SWB but I still get the messages. I have also tried setting all options in IE, Tools, Internetopt, Security to Allow or Do not allow insted of Ask for permission.

What should I do?? Greatful for any help that you can give.

Best regards
    Becs

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

This error shouldn't be being caused by either SpywareBlaster or SpywareGuard.

It actually sounds like you have "Active Scripting" set to "Prompt" in IE. Could you just double-check for me? (I don't know any other reason, off-hand, that this would be occuring.)

To fix this in IE:

1.) Click on Tools>Internet Options...
    2.) Click on the "Security" tab
    3.) Then "Internet" and then "Custom Level..."
    4.) Then scroll down to the "Scripting" section and you should see an item marked "Active Scripting". It's probably on the "Prompt" setting, so either Enable or Disable will get rid of the warnings.
    5.) Set Active Scripting to the option you wish (either Enable or Disable) and click OK on the windows you opened to retain the setting.

Note: If it turns out Active Scripting is not set to Prompt, check the other two options under that "Scripting" section.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Have you also tried scanning your computer with an up-to-date anti-virus scanner recently? I believe there was a virus at some point that caused this error to be displayed, but I don't recall if that was just at the infection point or later, after you were infected.

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. Becs

Becs Registered Member

Thank you for your reply. I checked my settings and they were set on enable for all three script options. I also tried setting them to disable for all three but the result was the same... Can these things "get stuck" somehow so that the options doesn't change as I tell them to?

I kind of thought that this wouldn't be a SWB/G-problem but it came with the installation of SWG and SWB, so thats why I was wondering. I must have accidentaly changed something else in the process.

Do you have any idea what other forum I should visit to get more info on this?

Thanks!
    Becs

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If you used SpywareBlasters(SWB) Restricted Sites protection and before you removed SWB....did you disable ALL protection ?

Also....what Security level setting is IE's Restricted Sites set at ?

5. Becs

Becs Registered Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Problem solved.

I did remove the protection from SWB before uninstalling it, but what I hadn't checked was the security level setting in IE's Restricted Sites.

This has been bothering my surfing for months (rather annoying to have to answer yes or no to a security alert almost every time you open a webpage) but now I'm finally on track again.

Happy new year!
    Becs

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Happy New Year to you also Becs [​IMG]

I would however like to indulge you with a few more thoughts\questions.

What was the Security level setting for the Restricted Zone ?

You do realize that the default setting for that zone is High(~ 99 % of settings disabled)....which means you should not be receiving any....Do you allow scripts to run? alerts.

I'm a little concerned that you feel you have it fixed....when in fact you might be opening your self up to unwanted malware.

7. Becs

Becs Registered Member

I see what you're saying... I'm not very good at this as you might have noticed....

I checked my settings for the Restricted Zone and as you suspected I had my security set on Low. When I was having the problem, the settings were on Medium Sec and in that setting, the Prompt alternative is ticked and therefore I get the "Do you allow.."-question. I have now set it on High instead - in that setting all options in the restricted zone are set to Disable. Hence no annoying questions to answer. :)

The strange thing though is that when I check the Restricted Zones list of webpages that the restrictions apply for, none of the pages that I was having troble with was on the list. But the changes in settings obviously worked anyway..

:D Becs

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Helping is what Wilders is all about and the bottom line is you hopefully learned that the Restricted Zone is meant to be on High(~ 99 % of the settings are disabled)....and the other thing is that it worked.

Any more problems\questions do not hesitate to ask :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.