Error reading the file.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by davesurfer, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davesurfer

davesurfer Registered Member

For the last few days in a row I've been receiving this error in the log for Acronis 2009 -

"Error reading the file.

A possible reason may be poor media quality.

Please press Retry to continue with Volume 1 or press Cancel to cancel the operation."

This is happening when Acronis is attempting to consolidate the backup. The incremental backups work fine every day, it's just I have Acronis to consolidate them after 15 days and that's when it's giving this error. I've just bought Acronis approx 19-20 days ago and I have daily backups, so this is the first time Acronis is consolidating.

I am backing up over to a network drive. I have done a chkdsk /f on both the backup network drive and the local drive.

I'm assuming there's an error reading the incremental backup from 15 days ago? Because it's obviously trying to access that backup to remove the oldest files. Also, this backup from 15 days ago is the FULL backup which is about 40gb.

What can I do to fix this? I could do a validation on that backup file but that would take forever over the network.

thanks!! :)

2. rkh

rkh Registered Member

I'm having the exact same problem. Set to 15 days but doesn't always seem to be associated with consolidation, until today. I always just hit retry and the operation continues and eventually completes. I'm backing up to an external drive connected via firewire. Up until the past few days, the prior 60 were without incident.

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I was getting the same error message intermittently a few months ago and eventually had the PC begin giving me the BSOD. Turns out one of my ram sticks was failing and once this was replaced all was well with subsequent backups (the backups done with the faulty ram in place were corrupt I guess). Seems to me that if you are asking TI to do a large job as I believe would be the case in a consolidation that may be a possible cause of your problem. This makes some sense as the poor ram would not handle the data properly which is sort of like what would happen with poor quality media (I think).

4. rkh

rkh Registered Member

I think my problem is/was system resources. I have several tasks in addition to the backup that run overnight. One of them had drifted into the backup time frame. I moved it back an hour and this morning all I had on the screen was the backup successful notification.

5. davesurfer

I've tried hitting "retry" multiple times with the same result.

I don't think RAM has anything to do with it, basically the original full backup file has been corrupted somehow and it cannot read it--this is the file over on the network server not on my local machine. The incrementals are still backing up fine. I can do other full backups that are much larger without problems so it's not RAM.

I have no tasks running around the backup schedule time window.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Please download and install the latest build (#9709), re-create the entire chain of the backup files. The appropriate module was improved.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

7. davesurfer

I looked on your product updates page but could not find any 9709 or True Image 2009, only True Image Echo. Where is this update posted? Thanks!

EDIT - nevermind, thanks, I had to click on Home or Home Office products.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

The issue with the latest build (9709) of Acronis True Image Home 2009 concerning downloading it from your account has been fixed. Now you can download it directly from My Account -> Registered Products. If the issue still persists contact Acronis support and submit technical request using this link or contact us via Live Chat provide your serial number and we will send you download link for the latest build.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.