error opening (Access denied) is unacceptable

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by no * one, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no * one

no * one Guest

When scanning an infected HD, I'm getting a bunch of errors like:
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\irasqhfj.dll - error opening (Access denied) [4]

The file has some very funky security permissions (only a user with a cryptic name looking like an MD5 sum was listed). Manually taking ownership of the file, changing security settings, and rescanning reveals it is a variant of Win32/Adware.SafeSurfing application.

I am scanning from an administrative account. I can't believe simply changing permissions is enough for malware to hide from NOD32.

Going through the dozens of files in order to manually change the ownership and then security settings is unacceptable. NOD32 needs an option like "assert administrative privileges" that changes ownership and security settings of inaccesible files, scans them, and if they aren't a problem, returns security settings to their original state.

I'd like to hear what people from Eset have to say...

2. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Interesting idea.

Did the hard disk with these files come from another computer, perchance? My guess is that the "strange" username is one that was defined on the other computer, but not yours.

3. no * one

no * one Guest

Yeah, it was from another computer, and on second look, it's probably what XP does when it can't recognize a user in the security settings.

The fact that noone except for that on user can read/write to the file is almost certainly a result/behavior of the malware, though.

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Well, other AV's can't scan those files either, they just don't tell you about it.
    Think of this as a bonus as it can be very useful in some cases :)

And also, you can minimize the number of error messages to go through, if you remove the tick from "List all files" under NOD32 > Setup > System

Attached Files:

5. no * one

no * one Guest

Yeah, I know, I was just hoping that since NOD32 is aware that those files exist, it could handle them. Don't you think it's fair to hold Eset to a higher standard than the other guys?
    The problem is akin to the old "read only" setting preventing deleting a file - how many AVs are tripped up by that nowadays?

Thanks for the tip, I'd rather know what's being missed, though.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Asking here. Is it because it's password protected?

7. SSK

SSK Registered Member

No, it should be because of WinXP NTFS security settings. Only way around it is taking ownership as Administrator on the new system :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.