"Error occurred during communication with NOD32 Kernal Service"

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by zNth, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zNth

zNth Registered Member

"Error occurred during communication with NOD32 kernel Service"

This is the error I receive during startup of my system or whenever I attempt to open the nod32 control center, sometimes the control center will open but the window will be completely blank.

I previously had downloaded nod32 trial, installed and rebooted, then run into this error straight away.

I can uninstall, run reg cleaner and wipe the eset folder in program files, but I will get the same error when I reinstall no matter what I do, even if I download a new installation directly from eset.

My system is Vista Ultimate x64 Bit, Q6600, 2GB Ram. Never installed any other virus software beforehand.

Any help appreciated.

2. zNth

zNth Registered Member

I had read the FAQ on this error: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1088576#post1088576

Followed the steps and none of that solved the issue.

I think there must be remnants of files, services, registry entries left by NOD32 which do not get removed in the uninstall process, anyone know what these are so I can delete them and do a full clean install?

Thanks.

3. zNth

zNth Registered Member

Would appreciate any help....

4. chmiller

chmiller Registered Member

I don't profess to be a NOD guru, but it sure sounds like a conflict with a previous/not fully uninstalled antivirus such as symantec. Even if you didn't install another av previously, are sure sure that the manufacturer didn't? Perhaps you should use a program like autoruns to see what's active. Secondly, I would try using process explorer to see if you can get any more understanding of what exactly is happening when you try to open the NOD control center.

Don't know how much that helps, but maybe it gives you *something* until someone more experienced with the details of NOD can offer help. :thumb:

5. zNth

zNth Registered Member

Thanks, good to know someone is actually out there. :D

I personally clean installed vista myself, so I can rule out the possibility of conflicting anti-virus programs, except for nod32 itself.

I would tend to agree that the cause of this is some remnant of nod32 left behind which is not uninstalled through the usual uninstall routine, that's why it would be good to know exactly what registry entries/files/data are left in the system, so I might manually remove them.

Those two tools mentioned didn't pick up any obvious issues, this might rule out problems with the startup config and services, processes.

6. chmiller

chmiller Registered Member

I assume also that there's no clues for you in the application or system events logs? Sorry that other than that I'm out of ideas to help track down the problem. Hopefully someone else can jump in with something more helpful to you.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , let's accept that it is NOT your RAM , all files are downloaded OK , you have enough memory to run NOD32 (2 Gb on Vista are fine) , then it must be security threat - now popular are Station and Bagle (Stration can be detected but some Bagle variants hide as rootkits) .

I recommend you :

1) Download the latest fresh version of NOD32 v 2.7 for your operating system
    Trial version or Full paid version

2) Open Control Panel-> Add/Remove programs and Uninstall NOD32

3) Reboot when prompt

4) After restart , go to C:\Program files and manually delete the folder ESET

5) Visit ESET's online scanner and perform full scan with it:
    www.eset.com/onlinescan

The scanner will scan for all kind of threats except for rootkits

6) Download ATF Cleaner . Choose "Select all" to select everything in the list and run it.

7) Now try to install NOD32 from the file you downloaded in step 1
    Use "Typical" install

8 ) If you happen to install NOD and run into no errors , make sure you have stable internet connection and NOD32 (nod32krn.exe) is allowed to go through your firewall. Then Update NOD32 !

9) Report back the results (if there are errors and if Eset OS found something) :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.