"Error occured while scanning active boot sector of the 1. physical disk. Error readi

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by gagarinov, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gagarinov

gagarinov Registered Member

Have done clean installation of WinXP x64 and just installed NOD32. Got this error message as soon as it started to scan.

"Error occured while scanning active boot sector of the 1. physical disk. Error reading sector."

This is as I just mentioned on a completely clean xp x64 installation.

It then continued to produce error for lots of locked files. I have read Blackspears excellent comments about report of locked files and unticked scan all files and ran it again but it still reports these files as locked. Any ideas why?

Should I also have scan all extentionless files ticked or not?

Thanx for any help
    Gagarinov

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Re: "Error occured while scanning active boot sector of the 1. physical disk. Error r

Hi Gagarinov, welcome to Wilders.

You will find more information here

With the MBR error message, do you have a memory card device plugged in to your system?

Cheers :D

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  3. gnervt

gnervt Registered Member

Re: "Error occured while scanning active boot sector of the 1. physical disk. Error r

anti-virus setting in bios activated? (it write protects the bootsector)

4. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Are you running the scan as an Administrator or as a normal user?

5. gagarinov

gagarinov Registered Member

Thanx 4 your quick replies.

1. Yes, there are 4 memory card devices plugged in to my system. At least a reader for 4 different types of memory cards.

2. Cannot find antivirus in bios. Phoenix bios.

3. Where does one go in adn change from administrator to user?

Cheers

6. Biggerbyte

Biggerbyte Guest

I have the same issue, but it is 2 physical disk instead of 1 like in your case. Mine is the Zip drive not having a zip disk in it. I have even ticked "local" which is supposed to stop NOD32 from doing this but it does not. Nothing to worry about really. Just an annoyance that has needed to be fixed for a long time now. This error has nothing to do with your hard drive and is needlessly scaring everyone who does not know what it means. Don't look to ESET for answers. I've been down that road. They either will not or can not tell you what I just did.

Good luck

7. alglove

Well, it would be under Control Panel --> Users and Passwords, but it sounds like you have only one user set up for your computer. Since that is the case, you probably already have administrator privileges. That means that this is probably not your problem.

If I tell NOD32 to scan the floppy drive without a floppy, I get the message, "Error occurred while scanning MBR sector of the 1. physical disk. Error reading sector." If you are not scanning the floppy, then it could very well be the memory card device, as suggested by Blackspear.

Biggerbyte, I have a Zip drive in my computer and I never get the "physical disk" problem you describe with "Local" checked. I am not saying that it does not happen to you. (If it didn't, you wouldn't be complaining about it. ;) ) I am just saying that it does not happen in all cases. Out of curiosity, what is the drive letter of your Zip drive? Mine is D: Does it show up as a "Removable Disk" in the Windows Explorer?

8. Biggerbyte

Biggerbyte Guest

Hi Alglove..

My zip drive is using "F". It is strange that you do not see this. I found the cause by doing a search in google and then inserting a zip disk to see if the error would go way. Of course my findings were correct.

I dunno!

9. alglove

Hmmm, that is weird. When you click the Local checkbox, does your Zip drive also become checked? Mine does not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.