error nuker - anyone know this app?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chachazz, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

Like to know anyone's experience with error nuker....

..especially the site says
    well, no problems, no fix needed ;)

Thanks, chazz

Link: http://www.errornuker.com/info/01.php?hop=amit2602

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Well download.com does still list it, which suggests that it's unlikely to be spyware (with thier new policy) Looks like it's free now, so might be worth a look. I didn't see anything on google about it being spyware.

Sysinfo.org just lists it as "not required"
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?letter=E&filter=&count=50&offset=50

BleepingComputer.com lists it as a valid program: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ErrorNuker.exe-8965.html

..and all I can find is others saying the same

Ok, took a quick look and compared it to the others on my system..
    • Error Nuker found 70 errors
    • CCleaner found 111 errors
    • jv16 found 15 (I just cleaned with it a few days ago)
    • RegSeeker found 376 (many of those looked like killbits from SpywareBlaster, etc., a fair amount of the rest looked like things I wouldn't want to delete)
    • Windows Cleaner 2005 found 28 entries in a quick scan (took like 10 seconds, looked quite safe) and a whopping 1012 on the full scan (actually didn't look too bad safety wise, not as bad as regseeker, but would definitely be making & verifying a disk image before deleting)

Over all Error Nuker looked pretty safe and didn't take too long to scan (just a couple mins.) I would probably recommend it for just about anyone, along with the standard disclaimers that go with any registry cleaner. It's not a very pretty program, IMO, but it does the job. It didn't trip any of my security software (except that it wants to run at startup in the system tray), and didn't get any alerts from the firewall after disabling auto-update. Not a bad program overall. :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  3. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

Thank you Notok, very thorough!
    ...hope to hear some more reviews too! ;)

4. Arup

Arup Guest

I decided to check it out, it has a weird installation routine, you have to download an installer which then in turns downloads installation files, at the end of download, Avast webshield gave me a Trojan warning and I decided to delete it.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I read the site privacy policy and any other pertinent info before installing unknown software.

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I didn't see anything suspicious in the EULA, NOD32 and Ewido were both silent during install, ProcessGuard only showed on additional execution (the installer temp file at the very beginning), Yahoo anti-spy (based on Pest Patrol), TDS-3, and a2 didn't find anything, so I'm thinking Avast gave a false positive. I'll do some more scans when I get home, though.

7. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

Yes I installed it late last nite too...and asked some other security colleagues
    to check it out.

first, yes, it wanted to access the internet and I denied it and it would not
    install - got an error. Tried again and it installed, however, it places an
    entry in Start-up and runs in the system tray.

reported:avast reports this: Malware Name: Win32:trojan. gen.
    Malware Type: Virus/Worm

reported: it is reporting problem files that do not exist...

and....requires the paid version to remove certain items.

have asked hpguru to check it out ... ;)

Vendor: Trek Blue -some products on Eric Howe's list

and hpGuru responds with a link to some interesting reading material.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Interesting, so I guess it's not "now free" as the website says. Looks like they've gone back to what they were doing previously (according to the Spyware Warrior site they had stopped.) Lol, I guess I won't be joining the ranks of the spyware fighters anytime soon. I'm still not finding any malware with further scans, though. CounterSpy, SpySweeper, Bazooka, Spyware Doctor, and eScan Toolkit all show nothing as well.. so I'm still leaning towards the idea that it's pretty much malware-free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.