Error: NOD32m1.vxd & Error scanning MBR and boot sectors

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Jules31, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jules31

Jules31 Registered Member

Anyone know why this happened?
    Op sys Win ME

NOD32 running fine for 2 months. Then error message in a dialogue box on boot saying did I want to enable new settings or something like that, then hit ok and get error message.
    Boot into safe mode and do a NOD scan. Errors:
    1. Error occurred while scanning operating memory. System memory cannot be scanned. [The kernel service is not running or an error occurred while loading NOD32m1.vxd]
    2. Error occurred while scanning MBR and boot sectors. Error reading disk sectors.
    The scan worked OK and showed no infections.

In Normal mode could not access "My Computer" or "Add remove programs" in the control pannel.

Fixed it by stopping NOD from starting up. Reboot to Normal mode. Got DOS message to run 'scanreg /fix. Boot continuued to desktop. Ran the command to fix the reg.

Reinstalled NOD over the top. Reconfigured and updated etc.

Then noticed that "My Computer and "Add remove programs" were now available.

Now in startup there were 2 x2 entries to startup NOD. Deleted duplicated from Run- in reistry.
    All going OK now.

Additional info: Thought I would do a disk scan. Standard disk scan will not complete. (Hangs, and must be shut down using the task manager)
    Maybee there are really bad sectors on the disko_Oo_O

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Sounds very possible. Go into My Computer, right click on your C:, go to the Tools tab and scan for errors there. If you put a check in the option to "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" it will reboot to scan outside of Windows, which will be a more thorough and reliable scan.

3. Jules31

Jules31 Registered Member

Hi Notok
    Hi there - thanks for the advice. You are the only one who has responded so far - mush appreciated!:)
    I will try that, however it is my philosophy that when a HDD is developing bad sectors that I bin it and image a new disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.