Error Messages when try to restore from CD!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pdc00, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdc00

pdc00 Registered Member

I just bought TI7.0 today and downloaded the latest build.

I am running a MSI Neo Platinum Nforce3 Athlon 64 system with a Seagate Barracuda V SATA 160Gb HD. I successfully created images on a USB2.0 hard disk, and also copied them to DVD+RWs for good measure... They verified fine in TI.

I created a boot CD in TI and decided to try a restore. When I booted from the CD I got:

usb.c : USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-71)
    usb.c : USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-71)

But it carried on loading. Then when I tried to do anything like restore I got this error:

E000101F4: Acronis True Image has not found any hard disk drives.

I searched this forum and found maybe it would be better to go to a much older build such as 597. This seems pretty poor. If I did this, would the boot CD work with the images I created using build 613? Note the build which I was first given the link to download from the retailer didn't support my DVD Writer so I couldn't even create a boot CD! Though I could get round this by installing True Image on my laptop and creating the boot CD with its CD Writer.

Phil

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Phil --

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Acronis
    True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/)!

Can you please boot from the Acronis True Image 7.0 rescue disc and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." messages appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please add "acpi=off noapic" phrase to the line and click on the OK button.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

3. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Just curious... is there a reason why these kernel options aren't the default?

4. Acronis Support

Hello Wdormann --

Yeah :)

They are not default ones, because if there are no problems the program operates faster without these parameters.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA

5. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Ok, that makes sense.

Just a suggestion for future releases:
    When the recovery CD starts up, present a menu to the user that has the options: (For example)
    1. Normal
    2. Safe Mode
    with a short (like 5 second) timeout to default to Normal. If the user selects Safe Mode, it will automatically append the options "acpi=off noapic" to the kernel parameters.

It will operate sort of like the MS Windows "Safe Mode", so the functionality should be familiar to Windows users. I cannot find any reference to the F11 option from the recovery CD or the apic/acpi options in the True Image documentation.

So rather than forcing the user to sift through these posts here to find the options, it should be obvious to the user at the time of booting the CD how he or she might be able to boot a system which may have problematic hardware.

It should be quite trivial to implement.

6. pdc00

pdc00 Registered Member

Hi,

I did this and got exactly the same errors. I then tried again removing the "quiet" argument ... some bits of the output that may be of use are:

"insmod: st.o: no module by that name found"
    "insmod: ntfs.o: no module by that name found"
    "usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2"
    "hub.c: USB hub found"
    "hub.c: 4 ports detected"
    "usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3"
    "hub.c: USB hub found"
    "hub.c: 4 ports detected"
    "hub.c: new USB device 00:02.2-4, assigned address 2"
    "usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x402/0x5621) is not claimed by any active driver."
    "hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-4, assigned address 2"
    "usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x46d/0xc501) is not claimed by any active driver."
    "hub.c: new USB device 00:02.1-1, assigned address 3"
    "usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x4a9/0x107b) is not claimed by any active driver."
    "hub.c: new USB device 00:02.1-4, assigned address 3"
    "usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x46d/0xc30a) is not claimed by any active driver."
    "usb.c: registered new driver hid"
    "input: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard] on usb3:3.0"
    "input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard] on usb3:3.1"
    "input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb2:2.0"
    "usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage"
    "scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    Vendor: USB 2.0 Model: Storage Device Rev: 0100
    Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    SCSI device sda: 78140160 512-byte hdwr sectors (40008 MB)
    Partition check:
    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 < p5 p6 >
    USB Mass Storage support registered"

I typed this in manually, so may be typos and obviously a lot of stuff omitted. It detected my IDE DVD ROM and DVD Writer but seems to have made no attempt to detect my SATA hard disk. I do not have any PATA hard disks. Just a single SATA hard disk (Seagate Barracuda V, 160GB, single partition, NTFS formatted).

Thanks
    Phil

7. seant12

seant12 Registered Member

8. pdc00

pdc00 Registered Member

This is unfortunate because I have no intention to get a PATA drive. This motherboard is very popular and has been around for quite a while, as has SATA so there is not much excuse for the lack of support.

Did anyone find out if Drive Image 7 supports this motherboard and SATA?

9. pdc00

pdc00 Registered Member

Hi Sean,

Acronis sent me a new build of the CD which supports the nForce3 motherboard. It successfully recognised my SATA drive and USB 2.0 HD so I should be able to restore from an image on the USB HD to my SATA drive :D

I will PM you with the link to the .iso in case you want to try it. Note to get my USB 2.0 HD detected I had to press F11, then remove "quiet"... then when the # prompt appears type "exit". Not sure why this should make any difference but anyway...

Phil

10. Acronis Support

Hello --

Indeed, there is a special build now, that supports that motherboard. You can PM me and I'll reply with the link to the .iso file.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.