ERROR message??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by thepikes, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thepikes

thepikes Registered Member

I was trying a different approach to upgrading my laptop hdd. I put the new hdd in a USB Enclosure, and tried to clone to it from the old hdd. After the reboot, when the indication came up that TI was 66% through "checking partitions", I consistently got the following message: "ERROR: Partition configuration has changed. Reboot..." Then TI considers itself done. I tried automatic, manual, as is, and proportioned to see if that mattered. It didn't. The USB drive is being read. TI didn't have any problem cloning my old hdd to my external drive yesterday, so I'd like to know what that error message means. Thanks for any help.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

So are you saying that the process worked yesterday but will not do so now?

Did you have the same hard drive in the ext. enclosure? Did you add any new hardware compared to when the cloning worked yesterday?

What version and build number of TI are you using?

3. thepikes

I decided to try putting my new hdd in a usb enclosure and going directly to it from my old hdd. I did not use the ext hdd. It seems like if I could load it to my ext hdd last time that I should be able to load it to my new hdd directly via the usb enclosure. So I was able to load to my ext hdd the first time but couldn't get it from my ext to my new installed hdd. So I tried mounting the hdd in a usb encl and going directly to it (like I did the first time)...both times directly from my original hdd. Problem is that I get the ERROR message now with the usb encl hdd.

4. thepikes

Almost forgot. I don't know the build, but I downloaded it on Friday from the Acronis website, so it should be the latest, greatest. Thanks.

BTW, noticed you're from Brandon. I'm in Orlando. I was a teacher intern at Brandon High maaaaany years ago.

5. Chutsman

Clarify something for me ... you have both an external hard drive AND an enclosure that has the new laptop drive?

Yep, been in Brandon for almost 23 years ... wish the traffic was still like when we first got here, that fer sure. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. thepikes

Yep. Initially I was using my Western Digital 80g external, powered usb hdd. The new hdd I want to put in my laptop is a Hitachi 100g 7200. Yesterday I went to Compusa and bought a usb enclosure for that to see if I could just clone to the 100g (temporarily in the enclosure until I swap out my Fujitsu 80g), then swap my laptop to the enclosure and my 100g to the laptop. It seemed simple.
    Could there be an issue that my first clone went successfully to the external (WD 80g), but now It sees a different destination for the same old hdd data? Or can I only clone the same data to the same destination unless I change something? Sometimes I know just enough to get into the quagmire, but not enough to get out. :cautious:

7. Chutsman

Okay, got the picture. If that enclosure that the laptop drive is in, is powered ONLY by it's usb cord, then that may be the problem. If you bring up windows with the Hitachi in its enclosure, does it see the Hitachi? Sometimes those 2.5-inch enclosures need power from a second usb port and to do this the cord has to have an extra pigtail that plugs into the second usb port.

The different destination is not the issue. TI does not care where the destination is as long as it can "see" it.

8. thepikes

OK. I can't get Explorer to see it, however, the Device Manager sees it. The usb is powered up (i.e., the little light on the unit is lit) and I have heard the drive operating (when I first hooked it up and TI appeared to be getting initial info from it.)
    I researched the enclosure before I bought it. Some of the reviews said that it worked well with just the one usb cable. Very good reviews from 10 folks (at that site).
    Any thoughts? I also have a message in to the Acronis folks because I'd really like to get this done. ~Off topic comment removed. -Ron~ For now I'm hoping I can be guided in a fix. Thanks. Larry

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2006
  9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's focus on support for Acronis True Image in this forum. Any help is appreciated.

10. thepikes

Ronjor,
    I appreciate very much the feedback I have received regarding my new TI program since joining 3 days ago. I look forward to eventually being able to help others somehow (once I get this situation figured out). I'm also trying to learn what your guidelines are as I go. To this point my main issues are very much TI-related, yet I'm trying to provide whatever information might help give others insight as to what TI is dealing with. I do appreciate any help. Thanks. LP

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello thepikes,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify whether the problem with Acronis True Image has been resolved?

If the problem still persists, please create the bootable rescue media and clone you old hard drive to the new one in rescue mode.

If that does not help, please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please keep both source and destination hard drives connected while creating Acronis Report.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

12. thepikes

Thanks for your reply. I have been able to successfully clone to my new hdd (in a usb enclosure.) When I installed this hdd into my laptop however, the laptop wouldn't boot up. It says that it can't find a bootable hdd (or words to that effect.) Is there a setting I need to change in the bios for the new hdd to be recognized? Thanks.

13. Acronis Support

Hello thepikes,

Could you please clarify what exactly error message you received when you try to boot your computer up?

Please attach the collected report file requested by Tatyana Tsyngaeva above along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread and submit a request for technical support. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

14. Chutsman

When you say it was successful, you mean that at the end of the cloning process Acronis reported "clone successful" right? Welcome to the club. :D

I have found, as have others, that that message does not mean the cloned drive will boot. As a result I do not use TI for cloning anymore.

An alternative is to create an Image Backup instead and put it on an external drive. I use a 3.5 inch usb external drive (160-gig) for this. Then put the new Hitachi into the laptop and Restore the Image Backup to it using the bootable TI cd. Check your PM.

15. thepikes

Thank you for your reply.
    I re-cloned to my new hdd in the usb enclosure and it was successfully done. I then disconnected the usb hdd before booting up. I installed the new drive in the laptop and booted it up. This time I noted the message: "Primary Disk Drive 0 not found. No bootable devices - strike F1 to reboot. ..."

The latest report is attached.

Attached Files:

16. thepikes

Chutsman,
    Thanks for the tip. I'm on the road just now but may try that when I get back if I can't get up and running. I looked at the backup feature earlier and didn't see how to backup the whole disk. It appeared to be for files or directories, but as you say, it talks about backing up whole drives. It wasn't readily apparent to me. I'll look at the PM again. Can you do a "proportional" backup to the new hdd?

17. Acronis Support

Hello thepikes,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

According to the information in your report, you have not cloned your old hard drive to the new one.

Please clone your hard drive from the bootable rescue media (it should be created with the latest build of the software) and see whether the problem still persists.

If that does not help, please create Acronis report once again and submit a request for technical support.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

18. thepikes

I just loaded the latest build and redid the bootable CD. I then cloned (from the boot disk) from my old hdd to the new hdd in the usb enclosure. I did not reboot afterwards, but put the new hdd in the laptop, turned it on and received the same message as before, "Primary Disk Drive 0 not found. No bootable devices - strike F1 to reboot. ..."
    I want to give you the report, but I need to have my old hdd back in the laptop to send it. I can run it again with the old hdd in place (have to to send it) and the new hdd plugged in to the usb. That's what I sent you last time but will do it again with the new build. Please let me know if I should (or even am able) to run the report in another configuration (such as from boot with the new hdd in the laptop (the configuration that gives me the above message). Also, I have changed the drive sequence in the bios to put the CD first on the list to be read for the reboots, then I changed it back to run my old disk to allow me to access the forum for these messages. Could that be the problem? I have tried the sequence several ways to see if it made a difference. No luck.
    Let me know what configuration you would like the report to reflect and I'll provide it. I'm patient to get it right. Thank you.

19. Acronis Support

Hello thepikes,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure that the jumpers on the cloned hard drive are set to "Master" and the boot sequence is set up correctly in your computer's BIOS.

If that's not the case then please also make sure that you have unplugged the source drive before trying to boot into Windows from the newly cloned disk.

If that doesn't help either then please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Boot the computer having the issue from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy.

While creating Acronis Report, please keep the cloned non-bootable hard drive in place of the original disk as if you were going to boot from it.

Please send us the report.txt file created as Tatyana has suggested above.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

20. Chutsman

ThePikes, since you already have an external, I would forget the Cloning feature and do an Image backup of your entire original drive to the external. (Check mark against the Disk name). Then replace the original laptop drive with the new 100 gig one and use the Restore feature to restore to the 100 gig. Of course you have to use the bootable Rescue CD here.

I have found the Clone feature to be very very picky indeed. Just a few days ago, against my better judgment, I wanted to see if TI 9, build 2323 would Clone a 1.6 gig drive to a much larger drive 160 gig installed in an ext. usb case. I installed WinME on the 1.6 did the Clone and it worked. Next I reformatted the 1.6 and installed WinXPPro on it - the Clone, even though I got the "successful" message at the end, did not work when booting with the 160 gig. I think the error message was "operating system not found". And what's more, when I reconnected my 160 in the usb enclosure, and booted with another drive (a Max 17 gig with WinME), Windows told me that the 160 gig was only a 1.6 gig drive. Even after a dos fdisk and format, the original capacity did not return. I had to boot with yet another drive that has WinXP and format the 160 gig within Windows.

Finally to convince myself, as if I needed further convincing, I used the other Cloning program I told you about and successfully cloned the 1.6 to the 160 in the first try.

21. thepikes

Chutsman,
    Just flew back into town. Will try the approach recommended by Alexey. If that doesn't work, I'll try the image backup approach. As I recall, last time I looked at the backup menu, there was no "Disk" to check, just "My Computer", but I'll give it another try...especially since my "recalls" are suspect after 58 years. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.