Error message in FirstDefense pre-boot??

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't use "Exempted Folders" in AE, but I use "Trusted Applications", which contains a list of executables of FDISR in order to get a copy/update without errors.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for that tip Erik, i know your one of the first ones to successfully meld the two mega apps into a working combo without problems.

This seems totally unbeatable.

Malware makers are having tizzy fits because their best laid plans are being knocked down cold at almost every turn for XP. They really need to get a second occupation or hobby :D

They cannot succeed but for moments at a time, and that's a lot of wasted effort and time.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Erik, if AE was indeed what caused all of this, I believe that if I, like you, had used Trusted instead of Exempted, that I would have be OK.

Peter, I had AE disabled thru out this entire process. My theory is that, being disabled, it allowed FirstDefense to do its thing. But you know how whenever you re-enable AE, it checks your system for any new changes and adds or removes those changes from its whitelist. Well, I had all those FD folders in the Exempted list; could that have prevented those folders from being removed from the whitelist when I tried to remove the folders for those particular Snaps, and also when I later on tried to completely uninstall FD. And in preventing those folders from being removed from the whitelist would AE actually somehow "bring those folders back" when I tried to remove them even though the folders were now empty, having been emptied by FD?

Who knows, I just know that when I cleared the AE Exempted list, everything immediately started working, that is, I was now allowed to delete Snaps and completely uninstall FD without the "Exempted" folders coming back.

Acadia

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  4. ErikAlbert

Acadia,
    If you put all these executables of FDISR under "Trusted", you can use AE again.
    You have to "export" these executables to a file and keep that file along with the installation file of AE.
    If you don't "export" them and you have to re-install AE, you have to type these executable all over again.
    After "export", you can "import" these executables again after installing AE without typing them again.

I have such a file called, Anti-Executable Trusted Applications.fzx and I import that file after installing AE.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Erik, I've got a question for you.

First, thank you for post number 388 here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=171576&page=16

My question: on that list from that post, the last three located in the \0\ folder, how do you know of their existence? I am unable to open those folders. Thanks.

Acadia

6. ErikAlbert

I had the same problem, but after a few copy/updates with errors, AE mentioned each time, which executable of FDISR it was (AE always shows a popup window).
    So I wrote them down on a sheet of paper and then I did a manual update.
    After awhile AE didn't report anything anymore and that was the end of story.

If you have winVISTA, it might be possible that the list isn't complete, but AE will tell you that.
    There are probably better ways to find these executables, but my knowledge is very poor. According my readings there are special explorers, that allow you to open these folders. :)

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Yup, see here
    Example (ZIP download)

8. ErikAlbert

Voila, Lucas knows everything. :)

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, Lucas (and Erik). :cool:

Acadia

10. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

LOL, I'd wish that was true :D
    You're welcome.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I found the same really useful security using AE and is why i asked Eric to share how and what he used to get them both to gel so nicely.

Glad to see it's still appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.