Error message in FirstDefense pre-boot??

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Will completely nuking FirstDefense also get rid of the Archives, if so, how can I restore them? Or does completely nuking FirstDefense only wipe out the Bootable Snapshots while leave the Archives alone.

Acadia

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Available here,near the end

RAXCO

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This method is extreme but i had no backup image to turn to when i released a mean file infector on my FD-ISR system. I salvaged as many good unaffected files and programs with the program XYPloyer which can circumvent the file restrictions built into FD-ISR, so i was able to copy/cut off still unaffected files to another hard drive to use later again.

It was a major time consumong effort because i had 9 snapshots at the time and all but a couple were rendered unbootable, but XYPloyer penetrated the permissions of FD so i could rescue good files/programs.

Again, since you're not apparently victim of something this extreme i would turn to Todd of Leapfrog for advice, he may have a simple solution for you like he did me on the tray icon ordeal.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No I didn't. I meant, make sure there are no remnants of FDISR, run something like CCleaner, and clean the registry.

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

That was my second guess ;) (doing a clean install of FD-ISR with no snapshots or other debris from the previous install)

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

You know, guys, I just thought of a third thing that I did that morning; not only did I defrag and delete a Snapshot, I also renamed a Snapshot. o_O I better not do anything more; hopefully Todd will chime in. Actually, I wonder if there would be any harm just keeping it as it is; I can live with an error message as long as there are no consequences.

Acadia

7. Peter2150

Test your preboot rollover.

8. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings Acadia,

If you are still getting the " "$ISR File not found", or something very similar to that.", Let's get a set of logs from you. If you don't already have my email address, contact me here at this LSI contact form or call the number at that page. I don't want to post my email or any form of it for the spybots to grab.

I am going to ask you for some logs. You can find these from the GUI in Help, About, Support Info. Just zip em up and I will give you an address to send to.

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks a bunch, Todd, as soon as I get home I shall do that. :)

Acadia

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, dumb question guys, Todd contacted me and told me to run a chkdsk. Question: does it matter if Anti-Executable is enabled or not for chkdsk. Thanks.

Acadia

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't think so, chkdsk is authorized by AE during its installation.

12. Peter2150

Plus it won't run from with in Windows. You need to reboot and it runs at the same point the offline defrag runs. To be even cleaner you can run it from a Windows XP disk. Just go into repair and run it from the recovery console.

13. ErikAlbert

The only thing that stops chkdsk from running in FDISR is a frozen snapshot.
    You have to unfreeze, before you run chkdsk, otherwise chkdsk will be considered as an unwanted change.

I just ran chkdsk with AE on and everything was normal.

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, guys, I ran CHKDSK with AE disabled; no problems found. Tested the FirstDefense F1 pre-boot screen, it worked too. So, everything appears to be working 100% yet I am still getting that message. Awaiting further instructions from Todd. :cool:

Acadia

15. ErikAlbert

That's OK too. Keep us informed, because I'm also interested in the solution you will get. I never had these problems, but what happens to others, can happen to me too one day. :)

16. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Just a suggestion -do the full 5 part chkdsk that restores bad sectors and file system errors apart from the others.

Right click on C drive-properties-tools-error checking.

Use a little app called Smart Close to close down unwanted apps. etc automatically,but remain within Windows.
    This will give best results-also useful for defragmenting

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Well, here's the latest. Todd suggested that I do a COMPLETE uninstall and reinstall, which I did, took over two hours.

Reinstalled creating only the Secondary which FD does automatically. Normal bootup is ok, but still getting the $ISR File not Found when changing between the two Snapshots.

Hmmmm, I have NEVER used my ShadowProtect to recover an image. Maybe its time to restore my rather old image and then use a recent Archive to restore my sytem? Opinions?

Thanks guys, and thanks Todd,
    Acadia

18. Peter2150

Image your system first. That way you can get back to here. But then yes what you are saying works. I've done that from recent images, old images.

Acadia, I have archives of both my primary and secondary, and I've gone with clean install, installing FDISR, creating secondary from archive, booting to it, and then updating primary from archive. Works,works,works.

Pete

19. ErikAlbert

Acadia,
    FirstDefense-ISR is used constantly on-line, confronted with all kinds of software and malware and even different OS.
    It's almost a miracle that FDISR can do its job in such an environment, day in day out and hardly fails.
    That's why I'm not surprised that FDISR fails and that happened 2 or 3 times since I bought it, each time caused by a legitimate software.

That's why you need ShadowProtect in case FirstDefense-ISR fails.
    ShadowProtect is NEVER on-line : Recovery CD and External Harddisk, which are hardly used in practice.
    No wonder SP never fails, it can ALWAYS do its job in the best circumstances, while FDISR gets all the punches.

Since September 2007, I changed everything and I work almost backwards, where ShadowProtect is #1 instead of FDISR.
    I don't start with snapshots anymore like I did in the past.
    I start with images, then archives, then snapshots.
    Other users start with snapshots, then archives, then images, which works also of course.

You don't have to use my method, but you have to use ShadowProtect as backup of FDISR. You depend too much on FDISR in my opinion. :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

SUCCESS!! Spent some time on the phone with Todd and got it fixed. Some remnants were not uninstalling and kept coming back messing up the new install. We're not sure where they were coming from.

But it got me thinking and I have a question for those of you who are familiar with Faronic's Anti-Executable. Understand, this may be a dumb question but who knows?

This problem did not start with an uninstall and reinstall, it started when I deleted a couple Snapshots. Many months ago I installed Anti-Executable. It of course would have included FD on the white list. Then I added ALL FD folders onto the Exempted Folders configuration of AE. This included folders 0,1,2,5,6,9, and A. Months later when I deleted some of those Snapshots, the Folders containing those Snapshots would have still been contained in the Exempted feature of AE. Even though I got rid of those Snapshots, would having the folders for those Snapshots exempted in AE have somehow kept the empty folders from being deleted from the $ISR? Would it have somehow brought the empty 0,1,2,5,6,9,A folders back when I uninstalled and reinstalled? Remember, whenever you re-enable AE it redoes its stuff with whatever changes you made to the system. But what if those changes were also included in the Exempted list? Does having a program in the Exempted list prevent AE from redoing changes for that particular program, at least preserving the folders even if not what was contained in them?

Reason I am suspicious: Last night I removed all of the FirstDefense Exemptions from AE. Then Todd call and we uninstalled/reinstalled again. THIS TIME IT WORKED.

AE was disabled thruout this entire process but could having all those FD exemptions in AE somehow have interfered? Again, after I removed all of the FD exemptions from AE, everything started working properly.

Food for thought, anyway, MANY THANKS TO TODD. Todd I wish you the best of success on your new endeavors.

Acadia

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  21. Peter2150

THis could take us a bit off topic, but why did you do anything with ISR folders in AE.

When I had AE on in all it's glory(max Protection) ISR folders never cropped up or gave any trouble.

Don't remember, but since copy protection was on, I might have shutdown AE while updating archives.

Pete

22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter, I no longer remember my train of thought. I probably just wanted to make absolutely sure that AE would not mess with FD.

If what I posted above is really what happened, AE did eventually mess with FD but not during the use of FD, but instead when I wanted to delete Snaps. It messed with FD, if I am right, but in a way that I would have never thought. Moral of the story, and again, if I am right: don't ever put a program into the AE exempted list that you think in the future you might want to delete or uninstall unless you can remember that it is there and first remove it from that list.

Acadia

23. Peter2150

Actually the real moral of the story is to disable AE, when making changes on the system, that involve copying,deleting, removing software etc. AE is effective, but a royal pain, which is why it is not on my system.

Pete

24. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Another real moral to the story, is that when buying software, go to a company like Leapfrog (if you can find one)
    The support from Todd and Company is simply outstanding, and I am sure we are all very grateful.

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You can say that again.

Todd & Leapfrog are a top act bar none, he got me over an issue once that was so simple it was right under my nose.

Plus FD-ISR (Genuine) CANNOT BE DEFEATED

Oh something can fudge your snapshots/archives and FD-ISR program itself left unattended, but taken the forethought of saving archives to an alternative disk and reinstalling FD, and PRESTO! Instant Recovery as though nothing ever happened.

This stuff is World-Class folks, Legendary AFAIK, and theres no better alternative i've seen since or after.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.