Error message after 9 hours!

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by jimnutt, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimnutt

jimnutt Registered Member

I am a very new user, having only just downloaded the free version.

I have tried two or three times to create a backup of one of my computers, but each time, after 8 or 9 hours of creation, I get the error message 'VSS Cannot Read volume data'
    What should I do - and how long should the initial backup take to complete when it goes to the endo_O?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I would run chkdsk X: /r on the partition being backed up. It may be encountering an unreadable sector. Replace the X in the command with the drive letter of the partition you want tested.

Normally if you have VSS problems it gets stated right away. There are many reasons for VSS not working and they aren't really related to Paragon. However, in the options you can unselect VSS and use Paragons own hot backup method and see if it works. I'd certainly run chkdsk first though.

3. jimnutt

I,ve tride that and am now 3 hours into the new backup - I hope it works this time . . .:cool:

4. jimnutt

My luck is still out - the same thing happened again: 'VSS Cannot Read volume data'

Any suggestions for what the next step is?

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what security software do you have running in case it somehow interferes

6. jimnutt

AVG Free

7. seekforever

You can try shutting off AVG.

The error message does sound like it can't read the disk for some reason. Did you look at the report from chkdsk /r ? It is in the Windows Event Viewer.

If you go to Tools - Settings - Hot Processing Options you can change from VSS to Paragon's own hot processing method. The screen also indicates you need 300MB of free space for VSS but one would think that this is checked before it starts. However, if you are putting the archive onto the same partition as being backed up it is possible this space could drop below the required amount even if it isn't very much by today's disk sizes.

I don't know your disk layout but there is an option to put the VSS scratch area on other partitions. If you aren't, try putting it on a partition that isn't being backed up.

8. jimnutt

I am trying to backup to a portable herd drive with ample free space, so there shouldn't be a problem.
    There was an error when I ran chkdsk, but I cannot find the record file.

I will try to change from VSS to Paragon's system if the same thing happens again.

9. seekforever

The chkdsk report file is in the Event Viewer.

In XP: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer - System

I think it is under an entry called Wininit. If you click the Source title at the top it will sort them all alphabetically which may help you find it.

10. jimnutt

There is no such entry in this location.

11. seekforever

I found a reference, and I think this one is correct, that it is in Winlogon. It could be that if no errors are found no entry is written.

12. jimnutt

I've tried both and it still stops with the same error. Any other suggestions?

13. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The obvious suggestions: run the manufacturer´s diagnostics for the disk, create the image from a WinPE medium, so you don´t use VSS, or try another imaging program.

14. seekforever

Yes, go to the website of your hard-disk maker (Western Digital, Seagate, Samsung, etc) and download their hard-disk diagnostic tool program and run it.

Your problem really looks like some bad HD sectors.

The vendor diagnostics are considered to be more thorough than chkdsk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.