Error: logical drive is read only

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by scook52, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scook52

scook52 Registered Member

New to True Image 2009.

I have created a few backups onto my usb WD 1TB hard drive. Everything worked fine.

I am trying to back up a factory restored vista system.
    I am booting from a TI boot cd.

When choosing the destination drive, my usb drive, i get the error that the logical drive is read only.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Do you have your external drive running before the TI CD boots?

Were the backups that you have created performed via the CD or from a Windows install version?

Are you positive that you haven't chosen the CD drive in error whilst in the rescue environment, something that is easy to do as Linux lists drives differently to Windows.

That error message normaly appears if trying to copy files etc to either a CDROM drive or a a RW drive doesn't have RW media in it, or the read only protection bit is set, which is automatic on all CD material.

Colin

3. scook52

Thanks Colin for the quick response.

There are a couple of images on my usb drive. I see them when i browse to the drive. It is also named "My Book". I am sure i am picking the correct drive for the destination. I am really stumped because it has worked in the past. I have done backups from windows and from the cd. TI is not installed on the windows partition that i am imaging.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Is the error referring to the USB drive or the Vista drive?

OK as you have a label (my book) for the external drive, you onviously can't make a mistake in selecting the wrong drive, unles of course all your drives have the same name :)

5. scook52

I don't know, i've made some pretty stupid mistakes in my time.
    Anyway, I used Western Digital tools and wiped the usb drive. I restarted withe the TI cd, this time TI was able to write to the drive.

I guess when i restored my pc to factory defaults, vista did something to the drive. I guess i should've left the drive unplugged when that procedure was going on.

Any all is well here.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.