error extracting file

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by clyde123, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clyde123

clyde123 Registered Member

Hi all, on one of my customers PCs, the ESS has stopped working, a couple of weeks ago. It will not update. The error message is "error extracting file".
    I searched but found no reference in this ESS forum, but found references in the Nod32 forum which suggest corruption, and need to uninstall & reinstall.
    Given that this customer is about 500 miles away right now, does anyone have any easier solution ?
    Many thanks.

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello clyde123,

please try the following:

1. Log on to the computer with an account that has administrative rights, and verify that the following folders (C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp) exist by navigating to them through Windows explorer.
    2. Use the settmp tool (http://www.nod32.it/getfile.php?tool=settmp) from our website, which will automatically set both the user and system TEMP/TMP variables to C:\Windows\Temp. Check to see if the problem is resolved. If not, continue to step 3.
    3. Verify that the Temp and TMP folders are listed in the Environmental Variables area by following the steps below:
    4. Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
    5. Select the Advanced tab, and click the Environment Variables button.
    6. In the System Variables area, select TEMP and click the Edit button.
    7. In the Variable value field, enter the new path (C:\Windows\Temp)for the TEMP environment variable and click OK.
    8. In the System variables area, select TMP and click the Edit button.
    9. In the Variable value field, enter the new path (C:\Windows\Temp) for the TMP environment variable and click OK.
    10. Click OK to close the Environment Variables dialog box and OK once more to close the System Properties dialog box.
    11. Reboot the computer to apply the change.

Thank you,
    Richard

3. clyde123

clyde123 Registered Member

Many thanks for that Richard. I will try talking him through that today, and might come back again later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.