Error E00640067: Failed to run the task

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by HenryA, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryA

HenryA Registered Member

I'm getting the E00640067 error under different circumstances than I've seen mentioned in earleir posts. The cause is "A required privilege is not held by the client."

In fact, the client has full administrator privileges. But the error occurs is I try to run a task manually that was scheduled by a different administrator than the one trying to run it. The task runs just fine at its scheduled times or if started manually by the originating administrator. Not e that this behavior is completely independent of the administrator username and password identified in the task as the one whos profile should be used when running the task.

As a different administrator, I can edit the task and the changes are duly recorded. I can, if I choose, also change the account name and password to be used by the task to mine. But I still can't kick it off manually. (And yes, True Image was installed "for all users".)

Whassup?

BTW -- this is with build 3,677 of True Image Home 9.0. I installed that when I got the error with an earlier build. The only difference I note is that the modal error dialog window now appears in front of the locked window that shows that the task is Preparing.... Before, the dialog was hidden. Now you can see that there is an error, not just an apparent hang! I guess I can be grateful for that.

Thanks,
    Henry

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello HenryA,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that this is normal behavior of Acronis True Image. Different user should not have the option to run the scheduled task created by another user manually because it is contradict the security.

I have forwarded this issue to our Develpment Team and will let you know the results of their investigation.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. HenryA

HenryA Registered Member

"Please note that this is normal behavior of Acronis True Image. Different user should not have the option to run the scheduled task created by another user manually because it is contradict the security. "

If that is the design intent, it hasn't been achieved. An administrator other than the one who created the scheduled task can simply change the schedule (perhaps temporarily) to run the task one minute in the future and it will run just fine. So what's the difference between that and starting it immediately?

Note also that anyone with administrator privileges can change the account and password used to run the task,whether it is the account of the originator, the current account, or that of any other administrator, and the scheduled task will run just fine. And, of course, any administrator can mount the resulting image to examine its files.

So, as implemented, the restriction is just a nuisance, not a security feature.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello HenryA,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that when the scheduled task starts manually Acronis True Image check the permissions on the user who starts the task and if there are not enough permissions to run that task it will not run. If the task started automatically (on the scheduled time) it is executed under the user who created this task.

I have contacted Acronis Development Team and have created enchantment about this behavior of Acronis True Image.

Thank you again for your cooperation.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. HenryA

HenryA Registered Member

> Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

No apologies necessary. This is not a major problem for me. It's just a minor nuisance that I thought you'd want to know about.

> Please note that when the scheduled task starts manually Acronis True Image check the permissions on the user who starts the task and if there are not enough permissions to run that task it will not run. If the task started automatically (on the scheduled time) it is executed under the user who created this task.

True, but that does not explain why the scheduled task can't be run manually by an account that does have full administrator privileges (and can create a similar scheduled task with no problem).

> I have contacted Acronis Development Team and have created enchantment about this behavior of Acronis True Image.

I wasn't expecting to cast spell over them; just to alert them to the problem. ;-)

Henry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.