Error E00070020 - archive is corrupted when making a backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jazzy639, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzy639

jazzy639 Registered Member

Hello

This has been happening for a while now. The backup is scheduled to run autmoatically and this message pops up a lot.

Does it mean there is an error reading the data off the internal hard drive or an error writing to the external hard drive. ie which hard drive has gone, if any?

What can I do? Previously its been working fine for about a year. We've tried to create a new backup then run new incrementals off that but the message still appears.

Thanks in advance!

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Just to be safe, I would run Windows error checking on both drives.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I am assuming you have the option to validate the archive after it is created enabled.

When TI validates an archive it reads the archive and recalculates the 4000 checksums/gigabyte. These values are compared to the checksums placed in the archive when it was created. If any one does not compare perfectly the archive is declared corrupt.

It can be a bad disk but it would likely be the disk receiving the archive since TI would likely choke on a bad sector error if it was on the disk being read.

Other cause is bad RAM. If TI reads data into a bad location and then calculates the checksum it will be incorrect because the contents of the bad RAM location will not be the value read from the disk. You can check your RAM with Memtest86+ free from www.memtest.org . You should let it run for at least several passes, preferably overnight. Don't think because you haven't noticed anything unusual with regular applications that this cannot be the problem.

In short, anything that will cause the data to be incorrectly read into memory can cause the corrupt archive. This can be bad cables, overly aggressive memory settings, overclocking, motherboard failure, etc.

4. jazzy639

jazzy639 Registered Member

I've just checked the log and it happens when verifying.

Should I repair bad sectors when running the windows error checking? The computer is used for business purposes so would not want to do anything that could mess the computer up.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You can do a check and see how many problems it finds in the used sectors and then decide. If you have lots of bad sectors then replace the drive and if you have only a few then you should monitor the drive and if new ones happen after you fix them then replace the drive.

If you are concerned about your business data files then use a straight windows copy to get the important data files moved to some other media before you do anything you aren't comfortable with. Data files are the ones you need to be most concerned with since you can always reinstall Windows and applications.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

jazzy639, if you still experience the encountered issue, I may recommend you to use our Live Chat service here. We will help you to find the reason.

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.