Error creating secondary snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Tarnak, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Having trouble getting started:

I was greeted by the Welcome to the Getting Started Wizard,which says "To get started, an alternate snapshot must be created."

So,clicked > next > Data Anchoring "Use this screen to decide if you want to use data anchoring", so I clicked on > Run Data Anchoring Wizard , etc.

The upshot, I ended with this - "Unable to create static copy of active snapshot"

See below log:

12/08/2007 10:21:49.453 Copying snapshot "Primary Snapshot" to "Anchored Files 1"
    12/08/2007 10:21:49.656 Starting Microsoft Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS) for drive C:
    12/08/2007 10:21:49.828 Error - Async operation: Catastrophic failure
    12/08/2007 10:21:49.828 Windows error number -2147418113
    12/08/2007 10:21:49.828 Error - Could not start VSS
    12/08/2007 10:21:49.828 No files copied or deleted; Errors 2; 00:00:00.375

I not getting of to a good start,obviously. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

See attached screenshot:

Could it be that the alternate snapshot cannot be anchored to start with? I am confused.

P.S. Edited screenshot to remove personal details.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Do you have any imaging programs on your system, running on a schedule. For some reason VSS which is Microsofts Volume Shadow Service couldn't start.

Pete

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

No, I have no image programs installed.

4. Peter2150

Have you tweaked windows, by disabling any services?

5. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I haven't really touched services, just changed a couple from automatic to manual,ISTR.

But I have been getting DCOM errors at bootup, most days,i.e

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7000
    Date: 6/12/2007
    Time: 11:22:16 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: KRIS-
    Description:
    The DCOM Server Process Launcher service failed to start due to the following error:
    The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

Logical Disk Manager

The RPC server is unavailable.

Computer Manager > Diskmanager > Unable to connect to Logical DisKmanager Service

SYSTEM event

Date: 8/12/2007
    Time: 10:10:16 AM
    Description:
    The DCOM Server Process Launcher service failed to start due to the following error:
    The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

APPLICATION event

Event Source: VSS
    Event ID: 8193
    Date: 8/12/2007
    Time: 10:21:49 AM
    Description:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x800706ba.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 42 55 45 43 58 4d 4c 43 BUECXMLC
    0008: 33 35 33 32 00 00 00 00 3532....
    0010: 42 55 45 43 58 4d 4c 43 BUECXMLC
    0018: 33 34 39 34 00 00 00 00 3494....

Continuing on - today at bootup 12/09/07

SYSTEM event

Date: 9/12/2007
    Time: 9:12:41 AM
    Description:

After going to start > Run > dcomcnfg > Click OK which led to window popup > Component Services

I did the above after reading this post from this thread - http://forums.windrivers.com/printthread.php?t=64049

Reason for DCOM error (and delay in startup)

For anyone else who has this problem but does not want to risk SP2 yet ...

If you (Start Menu->)Run the command dcomcnfg the Component Services manager widget pops up.

Navigate down to Component Services -> Computers -> My Computer ->
    DCOM Config.

When you try to do this it pops up a MessageBox complaining about something
    missing in the registry. If you tell it to fix it (twice - another one pops up after
    the first, presumably for a different ControlSet or similar), then the DCOM
    service starts OK. This seems to be the one that hangs the start-up sequence,
    and also fixing this allows half a dozen other problems reported in the Event Log
    to go away, presumably because they needed DCOM to work properly.

Searching around, the reason for the long start-up hang is probably a time out, but the DCOM service wants to tell you about its problem but does not have access to whatever it needs to pop up a message, so

the starting wrapper
    hangs around for the maximum length of time before it gives up.

This does not fix the security center, but I don't think many people care about that as it does not seem very useful. Still - if anyone knows the answer I
    would be happy to hear it.

RL

I tried the above and got the following Application Event:

Event Source: COM+
    Event Category: Unknown
    Event ID: 4689
    Date: 9/12/2007
    Time: 11:42:41 AM
    Description:
    The run-time environment has detected an inconsistency in its internal state. This indicates a potential instability in the process that could be caused by the custom components running in the COM+

application, the components they make use of, or other factors. Error in d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\comsvcs\package\cpackage.cpp(1184), hr = 800706ba: InitEventCollector failed

6. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Any advice?......other than reformat/reinstall, that I will not contemplate.;)

7. Peter2150

Are you running XP, what service pack.

8. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

9. Peter2150

Sure it would. But at some point, you might want to try and figure out why VSS won't work. Many imaging programs also use it.

Pete

10. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

OK......will give it a try when I go offline. About the imaging programs, as earlier, I said I had none installed. But, if I try this change to RSS, does the future install of an imaging program be affected, with VSS versus RSS change?

11. Peter2150

No, what a future install of an imaging program might do is not work due to a problem with VSS on your machine.

12. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Finally, with the change to RSS, I have been able to create a secondary snapshot.

Just a couple of questions:

1. Am I now supposed to boot up using this secondary? i.e. not using normal bootup.
    2. The secondary snapshot took 1hr 15m (16.90Gb) to complete, is this normal or slow?--Priority was set to High.

13. Peter2150

1. You can boot to it two ways. From the gui, using the boot to snapshot, or during the boot up use the intercept F1 to select which snapshot.

2. First time you create a snapshot, it is slow. Updates are much much faster.

14. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

When you say updates are faster, do you mean to the snapshot that I have booted currently(secondary)?

I have updated AV AS programs,today. Do these updates stick, or do I have update to the primary snapshot?

If, I boot up into the primary snapshot, without the update you refer to, does that mean the updates,today, to AV AS programs are lost? Not sure if I am expressing this clearly......

15. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

As long you don't use a frozen snapshot, all changes are still there after reboot.

If you want to update the changes in the secondary snapshot, you do a copy/update from the primary snapshot to secondary snapshot, after that both snapshots are equal.

If you don't want to keep the changes in the primary snapshot, you do a copy/update from the secondary snapshot to primary snapshot, after that all changes are gone in the primary snapshot and both snapshots are equal.

Important to remember :
    1. copy/update ALWAYS creates IDENTICAL snapshots/archives.
    2. the source snapshot/archive ALWAYS decides what the destination snapshot/archive will be.
    Never forget these rules and always keep them in mind when you do a copy/update.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.