Error - Cannot assign a drive letter

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mitch, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitch

Mitch Registered Member

Hi,

I used True Image Corp. Workstation v 8.0 (build 1,158 ) to create a full backup of a Dell desktop PC. The resulting file is 11.7 gigs, and was created without error on an external USB hard drive.

I carried the hard drive to another PC with the same version of TI, and tried to mount the image (to make sure it worked). I get the following error:

"Cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the image archieve."

The Explore Image Wizard can read the file, and shows my comments and the partition structure.

I am concerned that this backup is no good. I did run a Check Image on it, and it finished with the simple "Operation has succceeded."

So, what can I try next? I know I should go back to that PC and try to mount it, but that is not very convenient at the moment. BTW the image was created in Windows, so the person could continue to work during the backup creation.

Thank you for your suggestions.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mitch,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please download and install the latest build (1213) of Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (1213) of Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation then please make a shot of the latest screen of the Explore Image wizard which contains the operation scenario (see the example).

If you are not familiar with making screen shots, please read the below step-by-step instructions.

- Get to the window which you want to make a screen shot of;

- Hit the (Alt+)PrintScreen button on your keyboard;

- Run Paint usually available in Start\Programs\Accessories or another graphics application;

- Choose Paste command in Edit menu;

- Save the result picture with JPEG format being preferable.

Please also run "regedit" command and let us know the data lines of the below registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters

Could you please do the following?

- Download SetupApiLog.zip, unpack it and run in order to add the information to the Windows registry;

- Delete \Windows\setupapi.log and reboot the computer;

- Reproduce the problem and collect the setupapi.log file created;

- Let us know whether there is a delay after hitting Proceed and getting the error message;

Please also download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation, try explore an image once more and inform us about the result.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

P.S. Please note that when exploring an image of a system partition on another computer you might not have the access to some files and folders. Please read this FAQ article describing the reasons and possible resolutions for this issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Mitch

Mitch Registered Member

Thank you for your help Alexey.

I downloaded build 1213, and that fixed the problem. I can now explore the images which would not mount before.

Many thanks!:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.