Erasing history in Firefox 3 possible???

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by phkhgh, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phkhgh

phkhgh Registered Member

Now that in FF 3 (as I understand), the history AND bookmarks are stored in the same "places.sqlite" file, is there any way by any means or prgm to securely wipe the history from FF 3 w/o wiping the bookmarks?

Has anyone heard the intention of the developers behind this change? I'm not sure it was just coincidence.

Thanks!

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

To remove History from FF3: Options window - Privacy tab and uncheck Keep my history for at least… in the History section. You can also check Always clear my private data when I close Firefox in the Private Data section, then click the Settings button and choose the data that you want cleared when FF closes.

I don't know the developers' intentions but at the very least, they gave us a way to eliminate an undesirable data record!

3. phkhgh

phkhgh Registered Member

JRViejo,
    If you set "keep my history for 0 days", that may / may not stop FF 3 from storing it (or perhaps just not displaying), but it will also keep visited links/sites from changing colors during a session.

AFA setting it to 0 days AFTER you're through browsing, it *may* actually clear the history, but it absolutely does NOT securely erase it.

Clearing the private data in FF 3 also doesn't even delete the typed or visited URLs in autocomplete. There are lots of tweaks by altering about:config, but you do lose some of the function when you want to use it, in order for the data NOT to persist when you DON'T want it.

Found this article (haven't tried it) on how to get FF 3 to store bookmarks in Bookmarks.html file like in FF 2, so presumably could just securely erase the whole places.sqlite file.
    http://www.lytebyte.com/2008/06/19/how-to-auto-export-firefox-3-bookmarks-to-bookmarkshtml/

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

OK, I get your drift. Maybe this FF SQLite Manager 0.3.6 Add-on might help you manage what you are trying to accomplish.

5. NeilC

NeilC Registered Member

How about installing firefox in a Truecrypt container and then using it's default settings to clear history. That way only someone with the TC password can recover that info?

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

If you surf the web with Retunil activated, nothing will be saved after you restart. If you run firefox in Sandboxie and delete the Sandbox when you are through, then nothing is saved. Unless I am missing something, that seems the best way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.