Eraser vs. PGP wipe

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by kipp, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kipp

kipp Guest

I'm trying to decide between these two.

Eraser v5.7
    open source, US DoD compliant method, Gutmann method, wipe free space, wipe Alternative Data Streams and cluster tips

PGP Wipe
    free, up to 28 wipes, US DoD compliant, wipe free space

The main differences seem that Eraser can wipe Alternative Data Streams, but I read its not that important since most files don't use them. Alternatively you could just wipe the free space to get rid of them.
    http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletins/m-034.shtml

A benefit of using Eraser is the Gutmann method which uses 35 passes. This doesn't seem very practical for home users with lots of files they want to destroy. 7 passes seems safe enough. Plus it seems like added wear and tear to your drive that can lead to an unstable system.

A downside to Eraser is that development has seemed to have stopped at heidi, although I don't know if any changes or improvements are necessary. PGP on the otherhand is still at it and can address any issues with their products as they appear.

I think the PGP wiper is more convenient because its included in PGP Desktop and makes a nice complete security package, but I don't want to sacrifice security for convenience.

Please give me any opinions. Thanks

2. fryrpc

fryrpc Guest

I have used both and settled for Eraser following testing done after wiping with each of these software applications.

I examined two disks using WinHex (http://www.x-ways.net/) paying particular attention to the files deleted on the disk (Tools - Open Disk - Deleted Objects). I wiped one disk with PGP and one with Eraser and then examined the disks again. Eraser seems to do a little more that PGP i.e. erasing cluster tips... and this results in WinHex revealed that Eraser was more thorough in it's cleanup.

Regards.

3. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I would have to go with Eraser on this one. I tried PGP wipe, it wasn't bad but I like Eraser. It seems to let you make up your own way to erase. I have one that I made set to 12. Another thing. Just because they haven't made a new Eraser in a long time doesn't mean that it's a bad program. There's a saying that says "if it's not broke, don't fix it" Why should there be a new Eraser?

4. supersurfer

supersurfer Guest

Another vote for Eraser. It's a great program. :)

5. StevieO

StevieO Guest

One of the nice things about PGP Wipe is apart from the Free Space wipe, it also erases those often overlooked CLUSTER tips issues. In the right hands these can give away all sorts of personnal info about what was on your PC !

You can choose how many passes it makes, the more the better. It can take some time if you have lots of data etc, but if you want to Properly clean your machine of crap etc then this is just one of the things you could do.

StevieO

6. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Eraser does this, too. And it can use Gutmann's method which is widely regarded as the most accurate analysis of erasing magnetic media ever written.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.