Eraser latest versions ?? comments please

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Longboard, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I have been using Eraser On XPHome 32 for some time.
    Good tool. :thumb:

I am still on V5.7; has been very stable: I see the latest release is 5.86a.
    With the greatest respect to Garret and the developers/maintainers for the job they are doing:
    I remember one of the recent updates trying to scramble my disc. :ouch:

Is there some specific benefit to updating ??
    Comments?
    Experience?

Thx.

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I still use 5.7 also. From what I have read, versions past 5.7 have been dicey for some (but not all.) 5.7 does what I need for XP. So I'm not switching any time soon...

3. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

I have also been using v5.7, I think since the Ark. This on my old XP desktop. About three months ago I got a new Vista Home Premium laptop. I had heard reports of some subsequent versions being "iffy". I took the plunge and about two months ago I installed v5.86. V5.86a came out a short while later and I installed it early in the new year. I have to say they have worked very well, not the slightest problem. The only thing that I don't like is the number of options you get to erase the Recycle Bin, seven if I count correctly and I feel that isn't really necessary.

I did make sure I imaged by HDD before I installed it, but no problems.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I concur. Too many options on the right click to the recycle bin which i apted rename EVAPORATOR! lOl

I use versions 5.82 which i really like that installer, but now use the latest 5.86 and no matter which of these two, they both work PERFECT as a secure delete in SandboxIE for me and i feel better about that.

Garret is been a master founder + developer for ERASER and i admire his grit and effort in fashioning perhaps the best ever free WIPER with just the right balance of features as not to overload the program itself as many other applications always seem to do on subsequent new releases.

In all honesty i have never ONCE experienced any issues whatsoever but then i never used it to wipe slack space on the whole drive either. I leave that up to RESTORATION.

5. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

Personally, I don't think a secure erase/delete tool such as this is not necessary on a regular basis. Secure data disposal, imho, is only imporant if you are selling or throwing away your computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.