Eraser: current version? & opinions

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Longboard, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Always regarded this as a must have and extremely useful tool:-

Just checking here with users: I am a bit confused about where Eraser is in devt atm.
    Code change?
    Lots of beta versions on the forums.
    Recent versions seemed to have stuffed some discs.
    What version of Eraser are you using?
    What advantages of any versions after 5.7 ?

Whilst I am still on v5.7, I have been noticing some issues with erasing .vmdk and large .iso files.

Opinions sought..

2. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I'm using 5.84, and have never had a problem with it.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I have 5.7, however, anymore I just use CCleaners erase option. I honestly think that Eraser went downhill after the original dev left..

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here, works perfect!

I was asked to be a beta tester for v6 but i WILL NOT use SP3 so thats that. Lookin with more interest toward a refined Windows 7 when that one matures.

EASTER

5. Longboard

Ok, thanks for replies:
    I,ve been a bit wary re Eraser recent/latest versions, particularly after several posters had their HD's scrambled. So I've held off updating and I don't run Vista.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Very wise descision Longboard.

Seems they want us many times to accommadate their requirements on some softs and SP3 won't cut it for me PERIOD!!!

easter

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I'm using 5.82. I think that's the only version I've used. There was quite a discussion here a few months ago about instability and problems with some of the more recent versions, so I decided to stick with what works.
    I think it's better than Ccleaner, in that it also offers to clean erased files references in the MFT. Don't ask me how it accomplishes this.
    Anyway, if I use a recovery program, there are plenty of references to files that Ccleaner has erased (set to 3 pass overwrite- and none are actually recoverable) but never any to those erased by Eraser.

8. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Same here. :thumb: I checked the changelogs and figured 5.82 was the safest version.

9. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Am using v5.86.1 which I believe is the latest release!

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

TO HELP IN THIS FORUM STATISTICS

I use without issue 5.84 and also 5.86 for many months.

EASTER

11. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I use version 5.86.1 with no problems, but version 5.7 is the best of the lot. Versions 5.8 through 5.87 beta 4 are patch upon patch of old orignal code (version5.3), version 6 is a complete rewrite from scratch.

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I still have 5.7 myself. No issues.

13. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

+1 to that. Further, I've used it for a long, long time without any discernible anomalies.

I would probably have moved to v6, being that it's RC4 already, but my understanding is it won't do FAT erasures - sort of a killer if you have sensitive information you want to wipe on something like a FAT-formatted flash drive.

14. jumpshot

jumpshot Registered Member

15. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Can someone clarify an issue?

Eraser 5.7 can erase files references in the MFT (like Restoration does)? To do that is enough to erase the unused space? Or is needed to choose other feature in menu?

Thanks.

16. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I started with 5.86 several months ago when I learned about the program. It has worked flawlessly.

17. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Did you already see http://bbs.heidi.ie/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5418 . I think one of the biggest reason many people are using v5.xx is because 6 needs .NET . Development is slow right now.. I tested many of the betas with no trashed discs but of course that's just me.

Thanks,

Chris

18. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I've tried a couple of the newer versions but have always gone back to 5.7. It does all I want. I don't know what they did between version 5.8.00 and 5.86.00 besides making it nearly 4 times the size it was. Why would a file erasing program (version 6) need to be over 13MB? Bloated doesn't begin to describe it, especially when it won't even erase FAT formatted media. I don't see anything in the new versions that would make them any better than the old ones. At those sizes, I have no desire to even try them.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

There are two issues i refuse to budge on, one is a crappy .NET, just read NIRSOFT'S tools, he compiles in super swift assembly language and it makes his great programs OUTSTANDING! IMHO

The next is that silly SP3, it's useless, theres plenty of intelligent vendors freeware and commercial that don't need not be bothered with wasting time on acommadating something that is better covered with vendor compiled security.

That's a fact and the bottom line. I been at this since Windows 98/SE and proves it everytime.

Why do you think MS is trying to escape Vista +XP for Windows 7?

EASTER

20. Longboard

@chris 12923
    Yeah i did see that, not entirely sure of what to make of it seems more like a fork than development ??

@prius04
    Tend to agree. Flash erasures have their own little ididosyncracies
    http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/format-usb-ntfs/
    Erasing USB flash drives: http://bbs.heidi.ie/viewtopic.php?t=1568
    A note
    LOL, I've always thought that the best way to erase a file is encrypt first then erase so what's left is total gibberish as long as all file references are gone ;)

I think this has been discussed often @wilders previously.

Erasing a single file on USB Flash devices IS NOT RELIABLE even with eraser, to be sure of erasing a file need to write the whole disc with '1&0's ( and even then ?), or encrypt the drive then basic whole of drive erase with Eraser or other utility.

Alternatively if you think read/write access is getting slow and drive ending near of life : then a hammer and strong arm :D

USB drives are fabulous, indispensable but extremely dangerous tools and appropriate care needs to be taken with them for many reasons.
    Imagine 8G of unsecured data dropping off your toggle...or left in the taxi home after your basic ether binge heh heh :eek:

Eraser as a tool is referenced all over the web.

I recall reading more about this previously....I'm sure there are some learned papers around about. :blink:
    So far I see little to make me move past 5.7 or possible 5.8x. I'll grab a copy of that install before it goes.
    Thx for replies and I'm glad to see there is still such widespread interest in this truly excellent stand alone tool.
    :thumb:

@easter : does nirsoft do an eraser : I've not seen one. ??

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.