Eraser completed with errors

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by popcorn, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

Hi
    I have recently started using eraser rather/alongside with CCleaner, on most cleaning tasks eraser reports as "completed with errors".
    I checked this by putting several files in the recycle bin and deleting with eraser, I was suprised to find I could restore some files and all .txt files using Recuva, Im guessing I had a issue with my installation so I erased it:rolleyes: and reinstalled...same problem o_O I know this is a popular tool in with members here so I figured this is a good first port of call for advice.
    I have only been using Eraser for a few days but it has really grown on me, I really like the option to delete sandboxied browser sessions with it,
    Heres hoping to a solution....

Edit-
    Im in danger of answering my own question here:rolleyes: have visited Erasers forum and seems (and rather obviously) its common place for tasks to finish with errors, not so common place for there to be complete recoverable files, I have posted logs in the Eraser forum so hopefully this will soon be resolved.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

3. zero_Phil

zero_Phil Registered Member

I've used Eraser for years and never had any error messages, if they are 'common' then I, for one, am surprised.

4. popcorn

5. popcorn

This from the Eraser forum-
    Errors and Warnings
    Eraser works quite close to the limits of what the Operating System allows, and it is inevitable that tasks will sometimes complete with one or more errors or warnings. A task initiated from the context menu or by drag and drop will be automatically deleted from the Schedule if it completes normally. If it completes with errors or warnings, it will remain in the schedule, so that you can examine the task log; in that event, you will need to delete it manually if you no longer need it.

To ensure that users are fully informed about what is going on, all errors and warnings are recorded in the log. This will include every occasion on which the Operating System blocks access to a file (for example because it is protected by the system, is read-only, is in use by another process, or the current user is not allowed to access it). For some tasks, such as wiping free space on a system drive, it is possible than hundreds of such error messages will appear in the log. These are rarely major problems, but users do need to be aware of the limitations of what Eraser can do. By and large, messages which state that cluster tips could not be erased should not be regarded as a major problem, while failures to erase target files and folders, or otherwise to complete a task, should be investigated.

6. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Errors on system files are common. Being able to recover, say a text file after you erased it, is not. Did you do a full system free space wipe first? Are you sure you're not 'recovering' an older file that was deleted before you started using Eraser?

PD

7. popcorn

Hi
    the files that I recovered where files I tested after seeing the completed with errors message.
    I did run a free space wipe also, Since then I have rerun Eraser as admin and its done the job :D all files erased for ever, including MFT :D
    During this process it became apparent that I had a corrupted file/folder in the recycle bin which may have caused the issue, I have reset the recycle bin and eraser is working but still reporting errors,
    heres the last log from eraser-
    Session: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:43:36 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:43:36 PM Error The file D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-3808106694-1758442468-3992027068-1001\desktop.ini could not be erased because the file was either compressed, encrypted or a sparse file.
    Recuva finds nothing so Im not sure if this is still an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.