ERA Server & Re-install via exported einstaller.exe

Discussion in 'ESET Server & Remote Administrator' started by JustinTD, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustinTD

JustinTD Registered Member

Here's the situation, if anyone can help:

1. Created an installer package and exported the einstaller.exe file and used that to install on a client PC.
    2. Later, made a change to the installer and wanted to test it. Edited and saved the packaged (did not rename as it was not needed, installer was for the same use) and exported the einstaller.exe file.
    3. Uninstalled ESET of the client PC and attempted to install with the new installer; it kept failing. The client installer log shows the server closing the connection and no real information aside from that. The server log shows it was rejecting the install because it thinks the same package was already installed on the client. Bear in mind, I didn't do a config push because it wasn't a change that would effect operation, but more over installation.
    4. I cleared the registry of all references to ESET and NOD32, ensured the Program Files directory was clean, tried again with the same result.
    5. Renamed the installer package and it worked fine (once exported again)

My concern here is if we have a client who's installation becomes corrupted and we have to reinstall, we don't want to have to change a package name just to reinstall on a client.

2. MattJN

MattJN Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

The fact that you did some manual clean up on the workstation is probably what fixed the problem you had with reinstallation. Renaming the package probably had very little to do with the final successful install.

It makes me wonder this: how did you uninstall the client? There's three ways to do this successfully:

1. Download the manual uninstaller and run in safe mode.
    2. Run the built in uninstaller in Start > All Programs > Eset > Eset NOD32 Antivirus > uninstall.
    3. Push a uninstall package from Remote Administrator.

*** DO NOT use the add/remove programs function in the control panel to remove an Eset product. It does not have the ability to work around the self-defense module.

Thanks,

Matt

3. JustinTD

JustinTD Registered Member

Ahh! Well to respond the manual clean up did not fix it, the server debug log was showing that the server was refusing the installation because it believed the package was already installed. BUT, you just shed some light on this, I DID use add/remove programs ... I have a strong feeling that is why ... if it is not able to remove the defense portion the server will likely be able to tell that is installed and hence the package already installed issue...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.