ERA CALs

Discussion in 'ESET Server & Remote Administrator' started by nsnidanko, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsnidanko

nsnidanko Registered Member

I have a question as of what counts as a "spot" on RAS server. Some of the clients register 2 times or more, thus you endup having something like:

- clientname
    - clientname 0001
    - clientname 0002

They have unique MAC addresses. Many clients connect using wireless, but when it is not available they use hardwire so you endup with 2 MACs.

Problem: Due to thus behaviour we "waste" CALs since same computer takes up 2 or more instead of 1.

Is there any way we can address this? Is it possible to have ERA account for a computer (CAL) based on their FQDN?

Thank you.

2. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

3. karlisi

karlisi Registered Member

We have in management 50 separate networks, there are many identical computer names from different LANs, so solution from KB won't work for us.

It would be good to have possibility to consolidate these duplicates under one client name manually. Is it possible? Or perhaps I can somehow suggest to ESET to include this feature?

4. nsnidanko

nonoise

This is perfect, just what i need. Tons of thanks.

karlisi
    Wouldn't this violate licensing? Since you need 1 CAL per physical mashine. Btw from what i understand on these 50 networks you have more than one machine with exactly the same FQDN?

5. karlisi

No, because this is one physical machine with both LAN and WLAN interfaces, typically laptop. If such machine connects to ERAS using one then other interface, ERAS server makes separate entry for each connection, because MAC addresses are different. In fact, I need one extra licence for every computer with LAN and WLAN connection and this is not good.

No, they are from different workgroups, unfortunately ERAS client name is made from computername not FQDN.

6. nsnidanko

Oh i see your dilemma here. Different workgroups have the same computer names. I have domain environment and there is a column with "domain". I have 3 separate domains but i couldn’t find 2 computers with the same name. I will test it and post results, since im curious myself.

7. techie007

techie007 Registered Member

Wait until you get a client that has a roaming wirless card that gets a new 'MAC' at each reboot! That sucks.... :(

Any how, here's a recent chain of emails I had with ESET support on this. I did my best to ensure I was explaining the situation and confirming exactly what they were telling me to do:

Time passes...

I got a response from someone (slightly?) higher-up at ESET ensuring that it had been added to the developer wish list (unfortunately I seem to have lost THAT email <smacks head>).

I did manage to find a related email from when I first reported this:

Case #370863 - Dated 9/18/2009!

Hopefully they'll deliver before I have to change vendors.

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Feel free to make a proposal as how clients should be identified if not by their MAC address and computer name. If you come up with a good idea we will certainly consider it.

9. karlisi

By computername + workgroup/domain name + HDD serial number, i.e. MAC addresses are very unreliable identificators, IMHO, because they are not hard-coded and because network interfaces can be many in one computer.

Another solution - possibility to merge two or more clients into one. It would be not so much job for admins, only initially to determine which duplicates are in reality one computer and which ones not.

10. techie007

I have in the past, and they (ESET support) agreed it would work.

Specifically (as karlisi pointed out) FQDN, or name+workgroup, and/or site-specific tag on the end of the name. Perhaps involve the server-side group they belong to.

Let me reverse this: If you (ESET) can't come up with a way for us to have two machines with the same name on two different sites, and at the same time allow them both to be able to switch between wired and wireless, then you are behind the curve and you should have never claimed to be good for MSP usage (back when MSP was the hot buzz word).

I've also been told directly by ESET reps that they have the ability to do this, they just have to implement it.

So I contacted them and posted this in May, it wasn't the first time I had gone over this with them either, and it's now Sept., and there have been no updates towards getting this working (that I'm aware of).

Have you heard anything new Marcos?

11. techie007

This would be satisfactory for me. Having the clients to be able to have more than one MAC address assigned to them (assigned by manually merging them once) should do the trick.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  12. clyde123

clyde123 Registered Member

We have the same issue as nsnidanko at one site. We usually just delete the older entry and leave the current entry in ERAC.

13. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

Windows SID based on the unique hardware of the computer. If windows gets formatted, the SID wont change once the client gets reinstalled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.