Enterprise: scanning when a user isn't logged in

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by tacfit, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tacfit

tacfit Registered Member

We've deployed some clients using Enterprise, but on some machines the client doesn't register in the Enterprise console until a user logs onto the machine. This is far from desireable. Does a user actually have to be logged in for scans to run?

2. CaptainKeen

CaptainKeen Registered Member

Yes, that is correct.

If you have the paid version, the realtime scanning still works.

3. tacfit

tacfit Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Prevx sucks if that's really the case though. Prevx should support scanning with system privileges. This is pretty much a no brainer for any enterprise level application where admins are scheduling scans and running them at off hours.

4. CaptainKeen

CaptainKeen Registered Member

I know. I was surprised when I heard that. But I'm willing to forgive, given that:

a) I'm still running the free version
    b) It sits happily alongside my current AV software (Eset)
    c) If a scheduled scan is missed (due to no logged in user), it will run the next time someone logs in.

Maybe things will change in future versions.

5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This will be changing in a future version - Prevx does scan with SYSTEM privileges but the scan itself requires a logged in user (primarily because of the logistics involved with reporting warnings to users). We're still working on how to do this logically without creating unnecessary headaches for the user. Windows is designed in such a way that it is not possible to display a message if running from a SYSTEM account, which is the source of our dependence on a logged in user.

6. tacfit

tacfit Registered Member

Gotcha. But this concept is placing the user at a higher importance than the system administrator.
    This is surely fine in the standard app, but in the enterprise level this really should be the other way around. Letting the system run to the administrator's specifications should be your baseline, and worrying about notifying the user should be a bonus.

7. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

You're exactly right and we agree :) The agent software is identical between the consumer version and the enterprise version (just functions differently) which introduces some design complexities and is the primary reason for not having this in place by default.

The user-less support will not be implemented in the next, immediate release but should be fully supported in the next subsequent functional release (barring any intermediate bug fix releases).

We will be contacting all of our Enterprise customers as soon as we have the next builds ready with instructions on upgrading/deploying the new versions.

8. tacfit

tacfit Registered Member

OK, glad to hear it. Thanks for your detailed and prompt reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.