Enough is enough

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by jayt, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Well, I have posted numerous times about AVG's inability to update. We have been promised a new version of AVG that will solve the problem (about a month ago). Well, enough is enough. Although I have a lifetime license for AVG, I am discarding it and have bought and installed Counterspy instead. If the people at AVG ever get their heads out of their ***, maybe I will reconsider using it at some future point. (My lifetime license should still be good- right?)

2. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I've made the same decision as you for my company & my userbase. Although I've moved to Prevx instead. Interesting you mention about your lifetime licence, as I was only thinking about the people who bought one of these last night. Ewido was a great product which was then sold out to AVG who asset stripped what they wanted & have left the users hanging out to dry, while they push their bloated anti-malware product. I was thinking about how anyone can now trust ANY malware developer to not only stay in business for 5 or 10 years, but to keep their product near the top in detection.

3. blueoysterdvp

blueoysterdvp Registered Member

Today must be "No Update" Saturday!

4. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

Surprise! Surprise! I have just had an automatic update to AVG AntiSpyware 7.5.0.50 to 811,080 signatures.

I think what is unacceptable is the total silence on the part of Grisoft to the many complaints voiced here.

5. blueoysterdvp

I got the auto update message right after downloading todays sigs.We know they're reading this,they're just ignoring us.What was supposed to be done by April hasn't been done by "almost" June yet.

Auto updates is all I'm asking for.The first time I said a negative thing about Grisoft last June,I received a PM telling me to stop agitating other users on false pretenses.How ironic.

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

PM from...o_O

I'm pretty sure there will be a Vista version, because you AVG AS users are also a market for Grisoft. No matter how big a corporation gets, marketing remains one of their strong points and selling an AntiSpy product makes a good market for Grisoft (why sell it at all otherwise?). I do not know why its taking so long, but it won't make corporate or sales sense to go ahead and just ignore a good product that has great market value. If anything, only the AVG Pro product seems deserving of being scrapped, as it has been replaced by a better product, AVG Anti-Malware, which performs all its functions, caters to the same market and costs similarly.

7. blueoysterdvp

The big V during last Junes ewido 3.5 crash.
    I hate to see people jumping ship here.Other than the update issue,I love the product and recommend it to people I know.As simple as 3.5 was,I got hooked on it and it saved my PC on several occasions.

8. Green Giant

According to the Grisoft web site, AVG AntiMalware also protects against viruses, so would be incompatible with whatever antivirus software one has.

AVG AntiSpyware is said, by AVG's web site, to be compatible with many of the antivirus programs around.

9. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

OMG
    that could explain why it crashes/freezes my pc when running it.
    I have Mcafee VSE 8.5i installed.
    Spy Sweeper v5 also does the same. Because the old version 4 does not have antivirus built in like v5, it ran fine.
    Im beginning to realize this. It has to be.

10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I took AVG AntiSpyware 7.5.0.50 off of one computer, I have one computer to go. :D

11. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I feel sorry and a bit guilty. I have never had any problems with automatic updates and have had antispy/ewido (paid)for a couple of years now.

I just wish I knew why mine worked and other people's doesn't, so I could tell them.

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

So you DID try it out eh? :D

14. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I've installed AVGAS on hundreds of pc's and nearly all of them have had update issues. This is a true problem that is taking a long time to rectify. :thumbd:

Yea I've used it on a few infected pc's and compared the scan results to AVGAS which was nearly identical. I sent an email to the SPAMfighter folks yesterday to see if they would confirm/deny that it is the Ewido engine. I'll try to post some additional thoughts on SPYWAREfighter in your original thread here shortly.

15. Green Giant

It seems ages since anyone from Ewido posted a reply here,to the constant stream of complaints about AVG AntiSpyware.

Why is this form not just archived as it was with DiamondCS?

AVG AntiSpyware used to find the occasional tracking cookie missed by Panda AntiVirus + Firewall 2007, but nothing in the last three weeks with McAfee Security Centre.

16. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Out of curiousity, should it be finding something? :) Isn't it a good thing that your computer is clean?

Personally I use AVG AS (with and w/o guard) as a second-line of defence when in doubt, alongside KIS.

What comes to alleged inactivity of the crew, browse around, I think at least one of them posted in this forum less than a week ago.

17. Green Giant

Thanks lordpake for pointing out a possibly missed posting. I must have blinked! This doesn't excuse the absence of comment by Ewido/AVG to the many postings about the failure of the automatic updates though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.