Enlightenment needed

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Just visiting, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK. Now that my trojan difficulties are seemingly behind me, thanks to the help received from members of this forum, my understanding needs tweaked.

Is NOD32 not capable of protecting me from trojans?

2. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Nod32 is an antivus program not an anti trojan program. That said it does a pretty good job of detecting trojans. However, if you are paranoid like some of us are, you might want to supplement Nod32 with an anti trojan program like ewido (if you are using WinXp) or A² Squared (if you are using Win 9x). Also, you might want to consider downloading and using Spywareblaster to keep scum ware off your computer.

You can find a² here: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

You can find spywareblaster here: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

All three programs are free. Ewido has a paid version as well as the free one, and a² squared will happily accept donations.

.http://www.ewido.net/en/ -Ewido is found here.

Hope this will prove helpful to you.

3. OK. Downloaded "a squared" and SpywareBlaster. My computer is presently cleaned up and supposedly protected quite well now.

Thanks very much to you and the others who helped me out.

4. jayt

jayt Registered Member

You are very welcome. I think you will find this forum very friendly and extremely helpful. :D

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

If this is all your protection is, you may want to take a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger, and here for more discussions.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The biggest portion of malware we add are trojans so I wouldn't say NOD32 is only an antivirus program which doesn't detect trojans. What's more, NOD32 detects spyware too, provided the appropriate option is selected. Of course, the detection of spyware is not as good as it should ne coz this feature has been added just recently.

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

From what I've seen NOD32 is better than most at detecting trojans. I am in agreement with jayt, however, in that it's no AT.. detection isn't the issue as much as removal of infection. Should you be unlucky enough to get hit with a 0-day trojan or worm within that hour time frame it may take to get the signature for it, it may prove more difficult to remove than just clicking 'delete' on the NOD32 alert screen.

My personal opinion is that if you are worried about trojans, it's worth it to get some preventative protection that will prevent a trojan from ever being installed. Then if something happens to crop up that you're worried about, you can send it off to Eset for further evaluation without worrying about being infected in the meantime :)

Blackspear: I almost think that thread should become a sticky with how much it gets referenced :D

8. Blackspear

LOL, yeah I agree, they are a couple of good threads to point people to. My security has change slightly in recent times, but for the most it is the same...

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Mine too, I think the advice is still always worth it, however.. it will at least get people pointed in the right direction :)

That's one of the nice things about NOD32, since it doesn't usurp your system resources, it's a fantastic part of a layered defense... I don't think there are many here that will disagree with the idea that a layered defense is the best way to go.

10. Blackspear

Agreed

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Stories about NOD32 being only antivirus is just a myth. All antiviruses in these days MUST detect trojans too,because majority of them is dropped by worms.
    It just depends on if the trojan is ITW or an isolated sample.

12. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Wish you people would read more carefully. :p

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I did read that part belive me ;) I just explained it in long way :)
    Norman Sandbox has a better chance of catching trojans (different heuristic method),but NOD32 AH is strong too. It pretty much depends on how trojan is packed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.