Endless Boomeranging Error Messages

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Positive_Impact, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Positive_Impact

Positive_Impact Registered Member

Greetings All,
    I've tried several things and I still can't get rid of the error messages attached. HELP!

Attached Files:

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

You'll see numerous places that it's also a good idea to stop and disable the Messenger service, which has been a "new" route for spammers for several years now. Messenger is of no use whatsoever except on an LAN, for passing notices from, e.g., the central administrator to individual work-stations.

4. Positive_Impact

My apologies for the delayed "thank you". I haven't tried your suggestions yet but much appreciated.

5. Positive_Impact

Instant Messaging has never been an interest of mine. I don't have a messenger service....or at least...I never subscribed to one......So frustrating!

6. axial

axial Registered Member

7. Positive_Impact

8. axial

axial Registered Member

That's great!

I hope somebody else will jump in to corroborate this, but I do want to be sure that you understand that even though you've stopped the Messenger service, now, so the messages have disappeared, you might still be infected with the virus that was creating the fake "error" messages in the first place.

Please be sure to read through the Symantec link that LoneWolf provided, and any others that folks here can provide.

9. Positive_Impact

Hello LoneWolf,
    After disabling "Windows 'Messenger'".....I finally read the RegistryCleanerXP information in the http://www.symantec.com/security_res...062912-1113-99 website and turned off my "system restore". Thank you for the informative site.

I am currently trying the free software recommendations:
    DrWeb CureIt, RogueRemover, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware but how can I tell if any one of them worked? How do I determine if my computer is no longer infected with the virus that was creating the "messager error" messages in the first place?

Also, I noticed that at the bottom of your post were the following links: Look'n'Stop, Defensewall, and AntiBot. Why? What is your opinion on these products?

After I get through this stage, I'll shop around for permanent antivirus software to install in my laptop. I've tried several trials but it's time to decide. Where do I acquire unbiased reviews of these products?

On another note, I understand it is recommended that I not depend on one security software to do it all; that I'll need to install several that specializes on specific issues. (E.G.: one for firewall, one for spam, etc...) Is that true?

10. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

There's some differences of opinion on this point, especially since we're starting to see malware which attacks in several ways at once.

But I think there's still more or less general agreement that your best bet is to avoid "suites" and instead go with a collection of apps each of which is specialized protection for a particular kind of malware.

11. Positive_Impact

Deciding on the "Right" Malware Protection

Hello MikeBCda,
    Thank you for the feedback....I understand about avoiding the "suites".

I am facing a dilemma...How do I know I have selected a collection of compatible applications? In the other words, how can I tell if the various malware software I select and download are able to work together without interfering with each others’ ability to protect my computer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.