End Task doesn't work

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by WilliamP, Mar 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have downloaded V2 and set everything up. All seems fine except that I can shut everything down,including PC just by clicking on it. No human verification. Block end task is enabled under protection.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

William did you try restarting the programmes? It is a known problem that Jason is urgently looking into. It is a timing problem we believe and intermittant.

Sorry for any inconvieniance - Pilli

3. WilliamP

Yes I have restarted the programs and rebooted. Now when I go to the internet I get logs that Norton FW is trying to write etc. to internet Explorer exe. So I allowed everything on IE. but I still get the logs.

4. WilliamP

So I went back to IE removed the allowed items and unblocked the blocked privileges. That part works now.

5. WilliamP

Pilli ,I have another question. We were told to save te pgaurd.dat file. Did that. Even copied to my documents. Ver.2 didn't pick up what had been in programed in my set up for 1.3. How do I get iot to do that?

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

You should not alter IE's settings as you have removed the block settings which is not good, you have to put the Norton file into the protect list and give it just the privileges it needs

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

William the pguard.dat resides in the windows/system32 folder
    So you will need to disable protection start in Safe mode and copy your pguard.dat file to your system32 folder. You cannot do it if procguard.sys is running therefore safe mode is the way.

8. WilliamP

Gee guy I'm trying. I know now that I hadn't set the Close Message Handling.Now from what you said I should put the block back on IE and allow Norton. Is that correct? Thank you.

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Yes that is correct, Programmes in the protected list usually need the first four blocks, If you add another programme to the list such as your firewall then it may require access to other files on your list, this is where the allows are used so that your firewall can see the other protected apps as it may need too to function correctly, you can see what programmes need allow adjustments by watching the Process Guard log.
    Also you may notice a trusted .exe trying to access a protected file but is not on the protected listf, so put it in the protected list and give it the required allows as shown in your logs.

I build my protected list slowly watching what is logged and making the necessary adjustments. ;)

HTH Pilli

10. WilliamP

All the problems that I have had with V2 have been caused by me. I have got it working great now. I am by no means a security expert,but I think this program is a must.

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Nice to hear that William, Once you get your head around how it works you are half way to being able to set it up correctly :) It is easy to rush into installing new security software but security software by it's very nature requires a bit of work to get the best out of it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.