End of Support for AVG 6.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hayc59, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

*End of Support for AVG 6.0
    Grisoft announces the end of support for AVG version 6.0 effective on December 31, 2004 for technical reasons. This version has been available since 1999. It's structure does not allow for further improvements planned for version 7 nor improvements of detection techniques expected to come in the future.

End of support means we will no longer provide program updates or Virus Database updates for version 6.0 and therefore, within days, this version will not protect against new virus outbreaks!

Current AVG 6.0 users should upgrade to AVG 7.0. Information on upgrading to version 7.0 can be found at http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_upgrade.php.
    - October 25, 2004 -

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

2. Stephan123

Stephan123 Registered Member

AVG 6.0 isn't free anymore?
    I am going to take another Free av if that is

3. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Having spoken to AVG"s Head office this morning the advice given to me is to continue using avg 6 until the end of the year. Further details will be posted on there website in due course.
    In the meantime you may wish to beta test there Second release of the new generation of AVG Free Edition which is now available from there website.

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/16/lng/us/tpl/v5

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  4. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:'( O.K., don't panic, remain calm (Ahhhh ).

I sure hope they continue to offer some sort of free program. I will wait to see and hear further developments. AHHHHH I'll take hand me downs by the way, if that will help them. Eeek

NICK: Please keep us posted as developments arise.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :'( :( :oops:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  5. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

New Generation of AVG Free Edition to Replace Current 6.0 Free Edition
    GRISOFT is pleased to announce that the next generation of AVG Free will be available soon!

The new AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, which is currently available for Beta testing, is scheduled to be Generally Available at the beginning of November.

All current AVG 6.0 Free users will be able to upgrade to the new AVG Free Edition before December 31, 2004 or purchase the full AVG Anti-Virus protection at any time.

AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 FREE Edition will be discontinued on December 31, 2004, and virus database and program updates for this edition will no longer be available.

In order to provide sufficient time to upgrade to the new AVG Free, all AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 Free users will be informed through the update process in the coming weeks about the availability of the upgrade.

GRISOFT continues to provide improved overall computer security by providing free anti-virus tool for home users.We are excited about the new release of AVG Free and think that you will be, too!

Thank you for using AVG Free!

The GRISOFT Team

- October 27, 2004 -
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/5443/lng/us

6. wildman

:D Happy days are here again, my AVG is to still be here amen, I am a happy man again, happy days are here again.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :-* :cool: :D

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    This all makes perfect sense to me. Out with the old in with the new. IT'S FREE. Even in pay companys can not keep old versions going when new updated ones come out to much company resource drain.

Free or almost free protection me too Wildman...... loving life :D

8. wildman

:) Perhaps I should have said this a long time before now. Just because I use free virus protection, does not mean that I don't have friends who own and run small business, and utilize pay protection on their systems. Some tell me that they make their decision as to which company to use, upon on how that company treats the users of it's free protection program. If that company seems to care about it's free users, then my friends tell me they will investigate the commercial pay product, as they figure the company just might be a good one. They do not always go for the large companies, or fall for the hype by the way. They also are looking for the protection factor, that goes without question. They also say that they want simplicity however, as they do not want this necessity to be a time distracting factor for their employees or business.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes: :eek:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Oh yes Fellow Creatures,
    I understand. Do not misunderstand me. I agree if Company takes care of free customer, that customer may buy more feature rich product. Or buy product after a trial. But I do like those one year trials!!!! Also notice I also said almost free. That really is a little misleading. I believe in PC protection at a reasonable price. I think $39 + is just to much for AV only package. Some may remember me stating I do not like suites. So true no change in that. You see where I am going $39 AV $39 Firewall $19 or $29 for Trojan Killer $19 for Spy Killer. And on and on.....

:eek: See what I mean. Take a younger fellow on a tight budget (not an old cheap goat like me) We need to be sure as a Security community (which includes Companys producing the product) to address their situation too. That is why my hat is off to these companys that have at least a free product offering. Also small business needs to watch their costs. What if a trojan were to get into a small tax accounting office PC :eek: Pay for your security sure, but no need to break the bank. That is why I say what we talk about here and what we offer here as information and discussion is of good and great value. All users need to do is show up and listen and then get back to business. Wow enough preaching but you see why I hang around here now anyway :)

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

AVG's new free edition has recently advanced to beta2 status. Get it at...
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/16/lng/us/tpl/v5

I ran the beta2 as my on-access scanner for a few days, just to see how it works. Works smoooooth. Very small buttocks. Beautiful & logical GUI. Plays nicely in a second fiddle role (on-demand & right click). To update it without having to run the control center, just execute the file...
    avginet.exe

Once the update is finished, it leaves NOTHING behind. Grrrreat!

It updates *now & then* -- not daily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.