end of my rope! icon gone, using up disk, stuck on 0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by radman2020, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radman2020

radman2020 Registered Member

I have done several backups without difficulty.

All of a sudden, it was giving me disk full messages. I erased everything from my new disk and it still showed that it was full. I don't know what acronis did to it... but I formated it and it showed empty.

Now I am trying to backup again. The icon is gone from the system tray for some reason. It is making lots of noise but it shows 0 percent for over 20 minutes now. What gives??!?

addendum. It is still churning. The windows explorer says I have used several gigabytes... but it still says 0%!!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  2. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Try doing a backup using the Ti boot disk first.
    If this does not work, and I see you said this is a new disk, run your hdrive manufacturer's diagnostic tests from a floppy and test the drive and/or write zeros to it if necessary to bring it back to factory status. Don't forget to format the drive.
    Then try the Ti boot cd backup again and if that method works you can go on to more complex methods.
    This should give you a baseline to start with.

3. radman2020

I cannot locate the boot disk so I am sunk.

It worked fine for a backup of my c drive.
    For a backup of files on a second drive, it is churning away but not updating the status bar.. still says 0 but it is taking up disk space. Anything else to doo_O

4. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Can you not burn a new Ti booy disk? It should give you that option

5. radman2020

yes. I will do that now.

the followup. It continued to churn and then all of a sudden, the green bars came up at 99% and it finished. It worked. The icon in the system tray kept going with the arrow as if it was still archiving. If I right clicked on it, and went for priority, the black dot was gone and you couldn't choose high normal or low. And it wouldn't close.

this erratic behavior scares me and makes me think I can't depend on it. I wish someone from Acronis would address my questions.

6. noonie

noonie Registered Member

If you are using the Ti boot cd as I suggested, you should not have a system tray.
    Are you also imaging this 2nd drive to your first drive?
    Do this first before you get creative so you can deductively rule out problems.

7. radman2020

I imaged my c drive to a usb drive... that worked.
    I imaged files from a usb drive to a second usb drive. That used to work. It finally worked this time but again, the status bar and the icon in the system tray worked strangely.

I will try using the boot disk. What is the thought behind this?

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You haven't said what version and build of TrueImage you are using. That would help.

Using the boot CD just eliminates any Windows programs from interfering with the backup process, so it's a diagnostic and a baseline. It's also essential to know if the boot CD works because that's what you have to do if the hard drive fails.

If your backups are working in Windows, then it's not as important to use the CD other than to confirm that it works.

9. radman2020

first of all, I appreciate your help. Do you work for acronis?

I tried the boot disk. It worked fine. The status bar went right across like it should. I didn't do a backup of as many files (17 gigabytes) but I did do a sampling from the same folders on the same drive to the same other drive.

I can't do this as a routine because I want to have these backups scheduled. I want to alternate copying my c drive and selected files on a second drive to my 3rd drive one week and the 4th the next.

Interestingly, when I did the backup of the 17 gigabytes of files that worked but didn't have movement of the status bar and messed up the system tray icon... it took much longer than the backup of my c drive which is 100 gigabytes.. It just makes me nervous!!

10. radman2020

I went back into windows and did the same small backup and it worked fine... the green bar worked and the system tray worked... and then went away when finished. I wonder what it is about the larger backup (again, smaller than the even larger backup of my c drive) that messes it up...

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello radman2020,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2302) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the problem still persists then please make sure that the Acronis Scheduler 2 Service is started and both schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe processes are running (use Windows Task Manager).

Please note that you can run the schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe (\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2) manually in Windows Task Manager (File->New Task) or do the following:

- Download schedmgr.exe application;
    - Start the Command Prompt from Start -> Programs -> Accessories menu;
    - Run the following command in the folder you saved the file to:

schedmgr.exe service start

If nothing of the above helps then please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please keep both of your external USB hard drives connected while creating Acronis Report and Windows System Information.

Could you please also do the following?

- Download schedmgr.exe application;

- Open the command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd);

- Run the following command in the folder the schedmgr.exe file was saved to:

schedmgr get report > schedreport.txt

- Collect schedreport.txt;

- Run Acronis Schedule Manager program (schedmgr.exe);

- Issue the following command:

set logflags support

- Reproduce the problem;

- Collect the log file schedul2.log that is placed in the \Program Files\Common
    Files\Acronis\Schedule2 folder.

Please also collect Acronis True Image 9.0 log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.