Encryption Software

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by BANGS, Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BANGS

BANGS Guest

Hi

I need to encrypt a couple of folders on my PC. I have never used encryption software before so could anyone recommend me one that is good at what it does and is relatively easy to use?

Also does it take long to encrypt and decrypt a few GB's?

Thank you.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi BANGS,

I would advice first to try on some test files/directories if you're not yet really in a hurry to get comfortable with a few which you try. I've seen recently several reviews, and the best and most reliable are shareware.
    Try what it does, if it uses containers or hidden drive partitions, which you might never be able to access if you would lose your key, try to find out if you have some alert if encryption was ok.
    You might like to be able to encrypt whole directories, drives, diskettes, but mind you, the bigger the stuff to encrypt, the more time consuming you can expect.
    There are some other systems too, storing the files wherever you want them, or adding several files to one encrypted archive just in full sight or hidden if you want.
    You'll also like to be able to cleanse the original place where it was, as windows nicely keeps a copy of everything unless you're able to secure deletion/wiping etc.
    You might like to be able to check the size before and after the encryption and of course the ease of decryption is very important too and check again the integrity of the files after that. I would like such a tool coming with it, if possible.
    Take your time to shop around and try some, before you really decide.
    Encryption is becoming a more hot item by the day, so i'll look around with you for reviews and whatever i surf on and looks serious.
    Think more people will add their opinions!

3. spydespiser

spydespiser Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.