Encryption software with PBA that doesnt change MBR?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by domonbayle, Nov 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domonbayle

domonbayle Registered Member

Title says it all,

Looking for an encryption solution that will offer preboot authentication (on one partition only) without having to change my MBR. I need the MBR to remain the same due to a bios hook (acer bios) that calls a special function in it that im using.

Perhaps some sort of ntldr chaining would be a solution? an ntdlr named file that the mbr calls, which is actually the PBA module, which then itself calls the real ntldr

Ideas?

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

preboot, without modifying the mbr? Sounds like you need a hardware token.

3. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

I presume that you could alter TC's bootloader to be storres in the boot sector of your partition, atleast the small part of it that tham calls the bigger part stored in th 1st track of your hdd, but than you would need some change to that part to invoke the ntldr directly without passing the execution first back to the boot sector or els you will end up in an endless loop of please enter your password ;)

I guess that isn't to hard for some one who knows his way around bootloader code and 16-bit real mode programming.

4. domonbayle

domonbayle Registered Member

Managed to get around this a bit (still experimenting) by doing exactly what you said, in combination with grub4dos replacing the NTLDR, so far so good. I can chainload in the truecrypt mbr without replacing the real required one if things go as planning

5. estra

estra Registered Member

If I understand correctly what is required, this must be possible to achieve with DiskCryptor software. There is a feature that has been added in version 0.3 of the program:

You can find version 0.3 of this program on its SourceForge project page. The program has also the main site where it is possible to get newer 0.4 version, however the site is currently not responding - freed0m.org. So in the mean time it is possible to obtain version 0.4 from this repository.

Hope that this info might be helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.