Encrypting XP Pro Passwords

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by zarathustra1900, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarathustra1900

zarathustra1900 Registered Member

Hello all:

I am an avid novice and therefore dangerous to myself and others, so please be patient.

Upon reinstalling XP and upgrading to XP Pro and using the Recovery Console within the disk I was AMAZED that anyone can have access to my files using this simple procedure!

I am sure there are other CDs available that offer the same ability. I have quite a long/complex Admin password for logon and it was not even needed to access these files.

What is the solution?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  2. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

There are so many program out there, that can reset your ADMIN or ANY password like for example ERD 2005. ;)

If you want to encrypt your HD, you can try a program call PGP.

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Don't be too afraid... this procedure requires access to your physical system. As long as the box is not accessible, this is no big risk.

The risk is bigger for laptops of course. In case of a loss or theft your data are at risk. Not only by using this procedure, but someone could boot from a linux cd or usb stick, or mount the harddisk in another system. Disk encryption is an option for laptops.

As long as you don't use an adminstrator account, your system can be made quite secure without expensive tools.

For disk encryption search this site foor safeboot and you'll find posts with lots of other tools too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.