Encrypting Tor Traffic Question

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by secureanon, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. secureanon

secureanon Registered Member

Hello!

First time post after being a lurker for quite some time

I have a question that has been burning in my head for a while now and I figured this is the place to ask.

With all this talk about people sniffing tor traffic, I have read several comments that have referred to encrypting Tor traffic.

"Most people don't encrypt their traffic while using Tor..." and others to that effect.

How would I go about encrypting Tor traffic, so nobody could sniff out my data that is passing through?

Luckily, I've never logged in to an email account or done anything other than surf the web through Tor, but I would like to learn how to do this, so if I decide to check my email, I'd know that my credentials couldn't be picked up by somebody else!

Thanks and Take Care,
    SecureAnon

XP sp2

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Tor is already encrypted. If you sign into an email account that has only been connected to while using tor, then there is no way of knowiing who logged in or from where unless you provide that personal information in your email account. It is all decrypted once it leaves the tor network. But it has to be. But I guess you could encrypt the individual messages so that they would have to be decrypted from the email account. Or you could get a xerobank email account.

3. secureanon

secureanon Registered Member

"Tor is already encrypted. If you sign into an email account that has only been connected to while using tor, then there is no way of knowiing who logged in or from where unless you provide that personal information in your email account. It is all decrypted once it leaves the tor network. But it has to be. But I guess you could encrypt the individual messages so that they would have to be decrypted from the email account. Or you could get a xerobank email account."

Caspian,

Thanks for the reply and clarification.

I was wondering why some folks would say that "most people don't encrypt Tor..." though... and just wondering if there is a way to encrypt the whole connection.

Thanks and Take Care

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Well once it leaves the tor network, it is no longer encrypted. So if you wanted to send an encrypted message to an email account, there are end to end encryption programs and also chat programs like pidgin and scatterchat that encrypt the conversations. I don't know much about these yet though.

But you can encrypt a file and then send it through email. I tried it once with cryptosuite. Gmal would not allow it but Yahoo would. I have not tried axcrypt for this though. But it is a free program and I would assume that you could use it for this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.