Encrypting Personal Files

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by phasechange, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Hi!

Ok, so I am planning on using TrueCrypt to encrypt sensitive data that I don't want to get into the wrong hands : tax returns, licence keys, letters, etc. However there are two threats that I can see (1) physical theft which this will protect against well, and (2) malware. Now there is limited protection from Malware as I wont mount the encrypted drive when not in use. However I have been thinking about the question of putting my Thunderbird profile directory in the encrypted volume. Is this a good or bad idea?

The weakness is that I would end up virtually always having the encrypted drive mounted so no protection from malware will be gained. However the anti-physical theft protection remains. What do you think?

Thanks,
    Phasechange

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hello

Been only playing with TrueCrypt for a short while so i'm no expert but i would suggest splitting up your tasks. Create an 'Encrypted Partition' for your important things and keep a backup of your thunderbird profile there. This way, it remains completely hidden when unmounted and your documents cannot be accidently deleted. Then create a encrypted volume for your Thunderbird only as this will have to be accessible alot more often. And don't forget to backup your Headers in a few places.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

For passwords and Tax records I use BufferZone prevent accesss under: Configuration/ Confidential files and folders. I also have forbidden files (which I don't use yet) For records that I don't want seen at all I use truecrypt. I am fooling around with both as time permits. The Truecrypt forums are very slow, Bufferzone Forum is a little more busy.

4. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

thanks guys. I'll investigate these suggestions :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.