Encrypting online folders

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ajanis, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajanis

ajanis Registered Member

I have an ftp folder with several subfolders whose contents change occasionally. I would like to encrypt the entire folder structure online, without having to re-upload the entire folder if its contents have changed. Is there a way to easily encrypt a folder that resides on an ftp host, and which software could do it? Thanks for any input.

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

If I understand what you're trying to achieve, a better solution might be to keep your "folder structure" a TrueCrypt folder, so when you close it -you know the contents are encrypted. You then backup the TC file (which if it's text-only could be as small as a few MB). Google TrueCrypt and DropBox for example. But like Poosey, I'm a little confused about what you're wanting to achieve in the end.

3. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

You could use one of the services that provide online encrypted storage. If you want more oversight, you'll need a host that allows you to run encryption software on their server.

4. ajanis

ajanis Registered Member

Thanks for your answers, and my apologies for being unclear.

I have an online folder with several subfolders containing scanned documents that I would like to synchronize with an offline folder occasionally. The entire folder is about 1 GB, so uploading a Truecrypt file is very cumbersome.

If possible, I would like to find a solution that lets me use my own host.

I would also like to be able to view the files online (without downloading), as I sometimes access them from hotspots, so the solution should be able to encrypt/decrypt on the fly.

Thanks for any more leads!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  5. ajanis

ajanis Registered Member

Thanks, I will look into it. A VPN may solve the whole issue. The ideal solution would be a software like axcrypt installed directly on the server.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  6. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Based on their reputation and the fact that files uploaded to dropbox get encrypted when stored on their server, do you feel that is safe enough without the need to pack them in truecrypt??

Thanks!

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Second Copy might be an option to consider, since it can encrypt new or updated files on your PC and send the encrypted ZIP versions via FTP to a server.

Personally, I don’t use Second Copy – but, it appears to have a good reputation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.