Encrypting files on Android?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by pajenn, Aug 15, 2015.

1. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I like to have pictures or scanned copies of certain important documents, like my passport, driver's license, etc. on my phone as backups in case they are lost or stolen, or in case I need to show one of them but don't happen to have the actual document on me (sometimes, for example, your passport number or driver's license number is enough at a store or during a random police stop). I would recommend everyone do this.

However, I want to encrypt these files in case my phone is stolen or hacked. I'd like a program similar to AxCrypt on Windows, something that's secure, allows the use of keyfiles + password, and is simple to use. Any suggestions?

2. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

fwiw, I currently use AES Crypt, which is ok, but also very basic and it doesn't properly support keyfile use. (But on the plus side, it works on Windows, Linux, Mac, and iPhone/iPad, Android, includes a command line utility that is useful for automating or customizing its use, and the source code is available too).

Anyone found anything better?

Edit: AES Crypt is the Windows name, for Android it's called Crypt4All Lite (AES)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  3. guardianrom

guardianrom Registered Member

There is BestCrypt Explorer which is free and doesn't need root access, but is closed-source. There is also LUKS Manger which is open-source but its need root access to work. Lastly you could try Termux which gives you a full linux shell with apt-get and all. You could probably use it to install something like CCrypt which is similar to axcrypt.

4. Timok

Timok Registered Member

What about EDS, it can handle truecrypt container on andoid?

5. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.