Encrypting an external hard drive with TrueCrypt

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by blainefry, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blainefry

blainefry Registered Member

@Tekhne,

I've kind of skim-read through this thread, and I'm not quite sure what it is you're trying to accomplish. Can I ask what exactly you are wanting to do?

2. BeardyFace

BeardyFace Registered Member

Damned if I know anymore.. or really care for that matter.

3. Tekhne

Tekhne Registered Member

Well firsts first, it seems to shine through more of a pejorative attitude with these insinuations of yours so far even though you seem to want to give advice and what not, if you get frustrated because you don't have all the answers or because certain things don't work out like you'd prefer or something then thats nothing to do with me "not accepting what people say anyway". Thats unfounded. But thanks you for the help so far anyway, it taught me some new things.

Regarding the mounting of the acronis backup, I'm not sure even why your talking about mounting it and then trying to mount a TC volume inside of it, not sure how thats supposed to fit into anything here, especially since I already said I tried mounting the TI backup after you told me about it, and it didn't work...I just got the error message I posted earlier in my last post. i.e. I tried mounting it, and as I said it didn't work. Thats been my trial and error so far.

Sure. Besides getting to the bottom of my initial questions from the beginning,(you can see it there) I am in the process currently of doing, and learning, how to backup my data, as well as transferring my data from an old drive to my new drive. Which is where my initial dealings with TrueCrypt encryption came into play. So far I've tested restoring an initial acronis backup successfully without any TC header issues, (only thing I encountered that I think is now solved was that the restored data had less files and less size than the original data which I was able to boil down to some hidden systems generated files) Also for just plain verifiable and manageable data transfer as mentioned in an earlier post I came across a little app called Teracopy which can handle large data transfers(unlike windows default copy/paste) and also verifies the copied data to make sure it's the same. So I think I might be very close to getting done with that, except for the unanswered questions in the beginning ofc which may be a bit trickier to resolve.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  4. blainefry

@Tekhne
    That's more or less what I figured, I guess. Backup to an external is what sparked my own questions as well. I started out thinking imaging was a good method too, but ultimately realized it wasn't.

Is there any reason you actually need an image?

5. Tekhne

Tekhne Registered Member

@blainefry Yeah, besides also the major red warning flag I encountered looking into this, with the mention of windows installation corrupting the encryption, and wondering if that also would apply to internal drives and not just external ones. Which gave me something to worry about in regards to my normal internal data as well. Thats like perhaps my biggest curiousity I have in regards to this.

I don't really have a specific need or want of an image backup at all. It just seems coincidentally to be the way TI happens to make backups. Only thing I think I desire in a backup solution besides working, and assuring/verifying my data is incremental/differential backup.
    Otherwise any workable copy/paste method would be sufficient if it only copied the changes so I don't have to make a time consuming full backup each time. And also reflect any changes made in the folder structures and names without creating lots of duplicates. (as normal copy/paste would if lets say you just move a folder and, or changed it's name.) Thats what I am hoping a dedicated backup application will do for me, though I have never tested restoring an incremental or differential backup before to see if it actually does this, thats what I am expecting that it will.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  6. blainefry

7. Tekhne

Tekhne Registered Member

@blainefry Yes it seems so. I wondered if we happen to stumble upon some of the same things as well, or our thoughts happen to go to similar subjects like that file compare ability you mentioned in FreeFileSync. I added my little contribution with a program I encountered that seems a bit ironically similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.