Encrypted Stand-alone Slide Shows?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by LockBox, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

My wife and I are about to be separated by great distance for around 3-4 months. I'll be sharing pictures (and vice versa) and am looking for a ttustworthy tool to produce encrypted, stand-alone slideshows. The only thing I have known of is CryptaPix, though have never used it - plus it's $35.

Yes, I know I could just put them in a small TrueCrypt container or zip them in 7-Zip with AES, but I really like the simplicity of "insert passphrase and program (slideshow) executes." Something self-contained that doesn't produce temp files would be nice.

Any ideas? Keep it clean and forget the snarky comments about how we might use it. Anything is possible I suppose, but the primary purpose is probably not what you're thinking.

Thanks in advance!

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Whatever you do, I wouldn't pay for any software. Most crypto software is snake oil written by people who have no clue about cryptology. It's like letting your barber do your brain surgery. The only software to trust is that which is fully open-source (PGP's stuff is good as is GnuPG).

What is wrong with simply archiving a bunch of pics, encrypting them with PGP, and sending them to her over e-mail? Alternatively you could use an SSL enabled chat program or one that utilizes OTR encryption.

3. LockBox

I promise you I'm pretty well versed on this stuff and hear what you're saying. But I have a good reason why I'm looking for something like this. I mentioned what I could do, and I understand that, but am specifically looking for something like this. Thanks anyway, chronomatic.

Any suggestions from anyone for a program as described would be great.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ LockBox

What a coincidence, you asking about such a soft, and this a few days later :D

Sounds like it "might" be what you want, if you can get it ?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1720832#post1720832 - there is a link to - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703940904575395073512989404.html - On there is this

5. caspian

caspian Registered Member

That looks really cool. Obviously if you have some adult pics this would be a good thing to have. But my family send out a lot of pictures too. Usually through Picasa or something like that. I'll have to look into this. But I am wondering if each person has to buy a subscription? I hope not because that would simply be unacceptable.

6. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Why not just create a VPN between your machine and hers? Then everything is encrypted end-to-end.

7. CloneRanger

@ LockBox

Hi, saw this, it's free and appears to do what you want. It's not encrypted, but i guess you could just use something like Axcrypt to make the AGIF into a self extracting file, then they would double click it, enter the PW and then DC the file which should open in their viewer ;)

Photoscape

8. LockBox

Okay....here's what I have done....feel free to download the test and let me know what you think.

1. Using freeware program PhotoMeister...I created a slideshow of vintage magazine advertisements. The program has a "Create Slideshow as .exe" option, with 16 pictures - it's only 6mb.

2. I then used AxCrypts's "Encrypt Copy To EXE" function to encrypt the self-executing slideshow.

AxCrypt is open-source, so that's a big plus. Just encrypting the self-executing slideshow (which, again, is just an .exe file) with the self-extracting AxCrypt, I was able to achieve what I wanted in two clicks. Not one, which would be really nice, but this is a good and safe alternative.

I uploaded the file so you can see how easy it is (and see the old advertisements) at http://drop.io/wilders_test

Just download the file from the link above and run the AxCrypt .exe (Wilders_test_vintage_ads_slideshow.exe) and enter password:
    wilderstest

That will extract the PhotoMeister self-executing slideshow. Just click and enjoy some old McDonald's and Burger King magazine ads!

As for safety and security, I've been around here since 2004 and wouldn't do anything to harm a members computer - so it's safe. If you want to give it a spin, let me know if you found it easy enough. Remember, my wife will need to do this. She's computer literate enough to handle this. I think.

Other ideas? Thoughts?

9. CloneRanger

@ LockBox

I guess you had found PhotoMeister before i posted about Photoscape, or wasn't Photoscape able to do what you wanted ?

I DL'd your file, and yes it works fine, and good quality too :thumb:

Bit of a "possible" privacy issue though :D your file once decrypted stays that way. I've redone it another way, which after viewing immediately gets encrypted again automatically on closing. Which i think is much better, and maybe is what you're looking for. Try it and see ;)

http://rapidshare.com/files/411663981/Wilders_test_vintage_ads-CloneRanger.exe.axx PW = CloneRanger

I also used Axcrypt, but chose "Encrypt a copy", rather than "Encrypt copy to exe"

10. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I typed in CloneRanger and cloneranger and it will not accept it.

11. LockBox

I sent CloneRanger a PM yesterday because it didn't work for me either.

12. CloneRanger

@ caspian

Hi, just seen your post, please see below.

@ LockBox

Hi, only just logged in so didn't get your PM yesterday :(

I've redone it and uploaded with a new link -http://rapidshare.com/files/411821677/Wilders_test_vintage_ads-CloneRanger-exe.axx-

I DL'd it and tested it PW = CloneRanger and it worked for me

Sorry it didn't work first time round, not sure why ?

Let me know how it goes :)

13. LockBox

Hmmmm. AxCrypt decrypted it fine this time, but after the slideshow was over, it didn't erase the file and leave only the encrypted file or anything. The decrypted file is still there. The only difference if you made it an encrypted .axx file which needs AxCrypt installed, and I made it self-extracting which needs no AxCrypt at all.

Am I missing something?

14. CloneRanger

:thumb:

Strange, as there is NO decrypted file left on my comp XP/SP2 after viewing ?

No, you're quite right, i overlooked them not having Axcrypt installed :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.