Encrypted Magic Folders Intentional Trojan?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by PrimalForce, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrimalForce

PrimalForce Registered Member

Greetings, what are your thoughts about a older version of Encrypted Magick Folders on Tucows that has been downloaded by literally thousands of people worldwide which appears to contain a very slick trojan horse which uploads copys of your supposedly protected files via Freeserver, FTP and DDE server modes?

This seems to be 'way to professional' to be a patched in by some hacker into the full install of Encrypted Magic Folders. It appears TO ME that it comes directly from that software programmer as a internal addition.

To what end? Any software programmer knows they would be federally prosecuted if they used any of the FTP and DDE streams containing the files for bank accounts, credit card numbers and passwords into secure sites. No, it seems more than that, in my opinion, this appears to be a concerted effort by a agency to have a backdoor uplink any files some individual thought was important enough to hide and encrypt on their personal computer.

Encrypted Magic Folders v00.9.1
    Tucows File Description Link:
    http://tucows.mundofree.com/preview/74040.html

Tucows Download Link:
    http://tucows.mundofree.com/adnload/74040_30375.html

Trojan: Freeserver, FTP, Uplink DDE Server

Regards,
    PrimalForce

2. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

3. PrimalForce

PrimalForce Registered Member

I immediately noticed the program listed (Encrypted Magic Folders v.91) tried to use the DDE server when it was activated. Since I've used DDE servers in the past to transmit information from one program to another on a single computer, or huge LAN as well as from one system to another thru the internet, my interest in what was going on was 'increased greatly'. Why I wondered would a localized encryption program activate a DDE server and try to send out information? This wasn't some registration process, and occured with everytime that program was started.

The newest version of Reg Run Security Suite, by Greatis software clearly identified this program as working with Freeserver and FTP in a trojan horse fashion. As clearly pointed out in my previous post, that is now a older version of that software. HOWEVER, that has been downloaded thousands of times and in my opinion, that trojan programming is to sophisticated to be added by some hacker later down the road after the release of Encrypted Magic Folders. In my OPINION, it looks like this addition was placed there in the full install by the software programmers themselves.

As noted, this is now a older version of Encrypted Magic Folders compared to the newest release. It was likely the newest release when the software programmer placed that on Tucows download site where it has been downloaded by ten's of thousands of individuals. The question remains however, IF that was/is a purposeful addition by a software programmer. IF that was, would you use a future release by that same software programmer?

PrimalForce

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Not a chance in Hell ;) if it was intentional...

Cheers :D

5. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

It's junk anyway. Encrypted Magic Folders uses a proprietary, "secret" algorithm they call "Transparent encryption." Worthless. So, no way would I trust this company with anything.

John
    Luv2BSecure

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

rot13 probably. :D

7. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

:D :D :D That's funny! Who knows? Could be Pig Latin too! :D :D :D

John
    Luv2BSecure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.