Encrypted files

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Anakunda, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakunda

Anakunda Registered Member

Greetings,

when I try to extract an encrypted file to a unencrypted directory, the restore won't perform decrypt phase, so the file is placed to disk in encrypted form, but without encrypted attribute, so that OS won't ever try to decrypt it self. I think this is a bug, if not please advice me how to extract files with encrypted attribute properly (ie. so that they will be readable on disk)

I don;t want to start new topic for the second question so put it here:
    Is the latest HDM Pro or BR suite 100% compatible with correctly NTFS partitions created by Windows 7 with 2048 offset ?

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Anakunda,

I don't fully understand your first question....

As of another one: all 10+ versions of all paragon products are compatible with new parititioning scheme if Vista/Win7. The same scheme is used for new partition creation in Paragon products.

3. Anakunda

Anakunda Registered Member

Mech_An, thanks for answering 2nd question.

As for clarification 1st question:
    Having a NTFS volume, on it a directory with encrypted attribute (assume all files within it inheit the encrypted attribute). The whole volume is backed up by BR to an image. Later I lose accidentally one of the encrypted files and want to simple extract from archive done, but to another directory not having encrypted attribute. Performing this simple extraction (not full volume restore phase), the file remains binary encrypted , however inherits the unencrypted attribute from new directory. So I think this may be a bug.

4. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Anakunda,

Thank you, this does appear to be a bug, I was able to reproduce this error in a Windows XP 32-bit VM. The issue seems to be when doing a full partition backup that includes a folder encrypted by Windows. I agree that it does appear to be ignoring the encryption flag during the restore operation, this occurs when exporting from the volume explorer as well as with the file transfer wizard, however does not happen when restoring the entire partition.

For the time being, if you must use Windows file encryption, I recommend making a small partition for encrypted files, allowing you to backup and restore them, and only them, at a partition level.

I have forwarded this issue to our development team and will let you what they come up with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.