Encrypted emails & masked IP

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TKHgva, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKHgva

TKHgva Registered Member

Greetings,

For anyone interested in email privacy (don't know if should've posted in privacy software).

http://www.4securemail.com/

Feel free to just read or eventually give an opinion if you like (which would be interesting).

I was wondering if, compared to others, they offer interesting guaranties/privacy protection, namely: no IP information along with emails, no logs kept (see below).

Here is a quick description of the key features and after that selected info from the website.

• encryption of course
    • ICSA-Certified virus scanner
    • compatibility with all email clients & browsers
    • but also IP masking & no client usage logging (according to website)

Excerpt taken from Q&A of 4securemail website:

2. TKHgva

TKHgva Registered Member

3. TKHgva

TKHgva Registered Member

NeoMailbox

Again,

If you have an interest, look at the website of one of the email service providers that was reviewed in the link above: NeoMailbox (http://neomailbox.com/).

Paid subscription offers either:
    • secure email (US hosted)
    • offshore secure email (Netherlands hosted)
    • anonymous surfing (Netherlands or Swiss hosted)
    • Combo secure email & anonymous surfing
    • 30-day money back guarantee 1 month trial

I saw that it has already been briefly discussed on this forum here. Mainly what was discussed was the anonymising service offered by NeoMailbox.

I am no expert in the technicalities of SSL encryption and anonymous surfing. Especially concerning anonymous surfing, I cannot judge whether speed etc are good. I'll therefore let the experts judge and compare. If it pleases anyone, it would be interesting for us who are learning to be enlightened on the pros and cons.

Residing in Switzerland myself, I know that there is are strong existing laws for data protection here. I still have to compare that with other countries, still reading about it. Although like everywhere else, ISPs were told by government to store logs for a temporary period and received compensation for this. I haven't got a precise info on what are the advantages of surfing anonymously through a server located in Switzerland.

In my humble opinion and using my limited capability for analysis, it seems that the advantage would be that by using NeoMailbox secure email service, end to end encryption is possible if both sender and receiver use the same service. However, if the sender and receiver use different email services, end-to-end encryption can be achieved by using PGP/GNU PG. In the latter case, at least the one using NeoMailbox has his IP protected from eavesdropping.

Look forward to reading comments/opinions.

Best regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.