encrypt web passwords

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mikeo1313, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeo1313

mikeo1313 Registered Member

I cannot seem to find the link of a software that supposedly would encrypt your passwords on the way to the site that authenticates it.

I know my description is very vague, but, I'm pretty sure somebody has to know what I'm speaking of or probably knows of a similar software.

It was mentioned in a post here on wilders with a link. This person that mentioned this software said they particularly use it for their online banking, when you visit the page of the software, they purpose this software for the same in the descripiton.

I spent a WHOLE lot of time searching the forums to try and find it using all types of keyword combinations and plowing through tons of pages and posts here to no avail.. Thanks

2. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Do you mean Keyscrambler or SecureLogin for FF maybe ?

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

4. TNT

TNT Registered Member

You can't. The only way to do it is through SSL, or alternatively have a local javascript encryption or hashing of the password and a remote site that can decrypt or verify it... but in any case the mechanism has to be always supported at both ends (and if you have something like a php site and don't know what you're doing, I strongly discourage you to implement a javascript encryption).

There's absolutely no way for anybody to send passwords "encrypted" to a site that doesn't support encryption. In other words, if your browser sends the password "in the clear" to a certain site, no software on your machine will make it possible to send it encrypted.

5. TNT

TNT Registered Member

They don't send passwords encrypted.

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

TNT is absolutely right.

7. mikeo1313

Yes, TNT is correct.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the exact mechanism but I can only assume it seems like it had to be like the keyscrambler mozilla plugin but had no mentions of being exclusively for a particular browser or that it was an extension atall, moreso a separate stand-alone application. Secure login definitly rings a bell, but when I referenced its page it didn't have the verbiage of use for online banking propaganda and was layed out differently then the page for the software I was tring to track down.

None the less, I will not lose sleep over not finding something I don't need.
    Definitly seems a combination of following would be enough:

Keyscrambler:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3383

SecureLogin SSO:
    http://www.actividentity.com/products/securelogin_sso_tech_features.php

SecureLogin Mozilla extension:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4429

PASSWORDMAKER {free, extension for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, Flock, and Yahoo! Widgets}
    http://passwordmaker.org/index.html

Thank you all for the info and suggestions!

8. mikeo1313

Not long ago I installed cain & abel and searched the protected storage and ie auto fill, and found every single login & password in clear text.

Does anyone use and/or know of a good program that will continuously clear these areas... I just realized how important passwordmaker is..

to TNT:
    I faintly remember you mentioned in a post you made on how keyscrambler doesn't work with all keyloggers, I was just curious as to what you use for protection from keyloggers??

9. prozabor

prozabor Registered Member

Try AiRoboForm. I work both with Opera and FF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.