Enable clients to temporary disable AV protection but not make changes to settings

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by gvsysad, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gvsysad

gvsysad Registered Member

Hi,

Right now i have all my clients protected with a password with the option "Protect setup parameters". But i want to give (some) clients the possibility to temporary disable real-time file system protection and/or disable antivirus and antispyware protection but not any other settings.

Is this possible? And how?

We are using ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus 4.2.67.10 for the clients and the server version is 4.0.138.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The only way to accomplish that is either temporarily removing the password protection or telling them the password.

3. gvsysad

Hi Marcos,

Thank you for the fast reply!

I was already afraid of that because i couldn't find anything in the settings.
    But if i remove the password protection, will clients also be able then to uninstall the AV scanner program? Because this is of course something i absolutely do not want!

4. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hi gvsysad,

Yes, after removing the password protection, users will also have the ability to uninstall ESS/EAV.

5. gvsysad

Hi tony_m,

I was hoping that this would be possible.
    In our old Symantec AV Corporate v10.0.2 it was possible to temporary disable the AV scanner on the client side but they could not uninstall the AV program.

Wouldn't this be a good addition to ESET NOD32 AV?
    Or maybe even the possibility to password protect only certain settings on client side?

Anyway, i think i just create another policy with different settings and use that on some clients who need this. Can't think of any other way right now.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

6. Marcos

Why do you need users to be able to disable real-time protection? Maybe we could find a workaround.

7. gvsysad

Hi,

Some of our users are using VMWare Server Console or Player on their laptop/desktop with VM's on it for demos to clients or others. They want to be able to temporary disable the realtime AV and/or scanner to get the maximum performance to run the VMware(s).

8. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

You could exclude the VMWare Program Files folder and also exclude the folder that stores your virtual machines.

9. gvsysad

Hi, sorry for the late reply but i have been busy what some other project.

@rockshox: Thx for the suggestion. I will give that a try and see if users can live with that.

10. Marcos

Also make a test by disabling real-time protection on one computer and see if it actually makes a difference. VMWare containers are not scanned internally so it shouldn't affect the performance of VMWare machines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.