Emsisoft Mamutu

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JerryM, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I assume Mamutu is an application similar to MBAM or SAS. If so I assume it can run alongside my AV. My sig shows what I am using at present.
    I have not been paing much attention to Mamutu, but with the COU offer I might try it.

I did a search, but did not see anything obvious to answer my questions, and I admit I did not want to read through dozens of threads. Hope no one is offended.Thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Not really similar to MBAM or SAS at all. Mamutu is a very strong pure Behavior Blocker. It doesn't scan for spyware or malware like traditional AV's or spyware programs but reacts to strange or potentially malicious behaviors with your computer. Similar to a HIPS program the first day or two can bring lots of popups for you to click on but after that it really quiets down. It's a very good program and I would of renewed it last month but with Online Armor premium and its HIPS it seemed redundant...:cool:

3. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I am thinking the same thing, I picked up a key thinking it would run along side other security programs. From what I could tell at the Emsi forum was as long as you exclude it from your other products it should be ok.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks to you both. Maybe it would do better to use on-demand. I guess I better learn a bit more.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Remember it is very good as long as you know what you're allowing :D

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Anyone have any test results of Mamutu? I saw a couple youtube video's but they did not look encouraging and may have been a bit dated.

7. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Has anyone tested it against ThreatFire? I know I may receive lots of comments about bringing up ThreatFire to this thread but since Mamutu and TF are the only two "pure behaviour blockers" that I know of so far (which doesn't mean those are the only two that exist), I think that it would be nice to test them and verify the efectiveness and response rate of each. :D

8. tk55

tk55 Registered Member

did i read you wrong? you're trying to use mamutu on-demand? it's a behaviour scanner, you can't use it on-demand....

besides, you already have IS suite, win patrol pro and MBAM running!!!o_O

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I think he meant, he prefers using On-Demand scanners, or i'm wrong :)

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

OK I would need to use it real time. I wonder if it would add anything significant considering my current security. I would not get rid of anything I am currently using.
    Having never had a penetration, Mamutu might just be another application not needed.

Regards,
    Jerry

11. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Mamutu will just add another layer of protection against zero day threats. You may not need it. But if you are having a license already why not give it a try as it is no memory hog.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  12. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Perhaps you do not need to have Mamutu in your current set-up. If you wanna try it out, maybe you can temporary uninstall MBAM or disable WinPatrol Pro to see it's effectivity on your system. But doing so will limit your "second opinion".

On-demand Mamutu you can do although I just call it like that (on-demand --not run at start) as I ran Mamutu only when I am online to complement Outpost when I had crash problems(as I did that in my last set-up).

If you have a license available yu can try it out with your set-up. But do exclude your security apps' process (as I excluded all my AV process(including all those of my on-demand scanner SASpyfree/MBAMfree/HitmanProfree)/Firewall process in Mamutu,no problems whatsoever --if not a lot of pop-ups including the basic updates of security software definitions will be blocked).

Now I have removed Mamutu and am using Mbam Pro(realtime).

In your Desktop set-up you are using APSS. Does it have the firewall module/Proactive module installed? The Proactive module is also a HIPS I believe...I also use APSS in my systems but firewall module is not installed( I use Online Armor Premium / Outpost Pro) and I do not have the Proactive module installed also.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Dundertaker,

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what APSS means. The 2011 beta Norton IS suite has the firewall and I installed it with default values.

I like my current set up, but have not used Norton long. Prior to that I was using Avira IS.

If I would need to uninstall anything to test Mamutu, I will pass on trying it.

Everything I have runs well together, and I think it is a very secure set up. Except that it was free I have not been interested in Emsisoft applications. I have tried a-squared a couple of times, but the FP caused me to ditch it.

Thanks again for the reply,
    Jerry

14. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

APSS - Avira Premium Security Suite (from your signature) :D

Why not give mamutu a go. I'm using it alongside KIS2011 and there's been no problems so far (I know its probably redundant).

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

DUH:ouch:
    I think it would be redundant for me also. If I did use it it will be on the laptop with Norton and the others.

Regards,
    Jerry

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

You are running Avira Premium in real-time. Its "Prosecurity" component is a behavior-blocker. So also is Mamutu a behavior-blocker. Mamutu's behavior-blocking capability is somewhat more powerful than Avira's, & is MUCH more configurable.

Even so, since you are running Avira-Premium in real-time, I think Mamutu would be overkill.

I do not see a firewall in your signature list. Are you running one? If not, you might try Private Firewall (PFW) in place of WinPatrol. WinPatrol is a rather weak HIPS -- better than nothing. On the other hand, PFW (it's free) has a strong HIPS component as well as a firewall with SPI.

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Bellgamin,

I am running Avira Premium security Suite so there is a firewall.

I was considering installing Mamutu on my laptop where I have Norton IS 2011 beta.
    I don't want to get a bunch of redundant or unneeded applications so was wondering where Umbutu would fit to fill any significant gap.
    Thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

18. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hi Jerry;

APSS is Avira Premium Security Suite(thanks pling_man)....got that from the Avira forums:)

I am running APSS ver10 in an old system but did a custom install without the firewall module. Had issues with it(still unsolved in the Avira forums...tsk..) Private Firewall is a good replacement. Had some good reviews and it's free! I'm going to try it out also next quarter.

Go ahead and try it out. It would not hurt to just try it. I got mine for free also:D and not wanting to waste it tried it out with my (then)combo. But I really would advice to exclude your current security apps (just the security apps processess) with Mamutu so pop-ups won't kill you.

Then after you try it compare it from before. So you will know if you really need it or not. By the looks of it, it may really seem redundant but hey.. in the end it will be you who will decide. But how can you decide if you don't try it out first...?

Layer-light as the gurus here will advice. Light but effective. I think what you should add is Sandboxie(paid) or GesWall..but that's just me:D

You said..."Having never had a penetration..." hmmm..penetration pertaining to outbound/inbound leaks?

Anyway, A-squared(paid) has Mamutu's behavioral blocking installed I think...(maybe wrong here...but I seem to have read it here at wilders that it's included). Got one of that also for free but made my system crawl so uninstalled it after a week of trial.

I ask if you have Proactive module installed in APSS because it's Avira's behavioral blocker as bellgamin says. And as bellgamin says, Mamutu's is much better than Avira's. Yeah definitely. That is why when I used it I uninstalled the Proactive module of APSS ver10. Have not installed it again even when I uninstalled Mamutu ver3:D.

Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Dundertaker,

I installed on my laptop with Norton, etc . I did not experience any problems or slowdowns as far as I can tell.
    I use my laptop to try things, as it would be easier to carry to the shop if it exploded.

I don't use my laptop much, but when I travel I want it to be as secure as reasonable considering the motel options. Sometimes they do not have a secured WiFi.

So we'll see how Mamutu acts.
    Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Jerry

20. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I recently added Mamutu (thanks CoU! :thumb:) and tonight I saw its potential when I ran Xilisoft Video Converter. It detected numerous spyware activities, not that they are really a threat coming from that company.

dja2k

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  21. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I hope for a free version of MAMUTU.

22. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Threatfire :p

23. microbial

microbial Registered Member

Been running Mamutu for a couple of weeks now and haven't heard a peep or a squeak from it. maybe I should RTFM as I'd have thought it would pop up occasionally, even just to say hello!

24. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Turn on the paranoid mode and disable the community response....:D

25. microbial

microbial Registered Member

You know I think I'll do that just to make sure it's awake!! :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.