Emsisoft Mamutu 3.0.0.11 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

http://www.emsisoft.de/de/software/mamutu/

2. denniz

denniz Registered Member

3. guest

guest Guest

4. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Some screenshots for those interested:

mamutu1.jpg

mamutu2.jpg

mamutu3.jpg

mamutu4.jpg

:)

5. Pablo87

Pablo87 Registered Member

can i now uncheck the betaupdate function?

6. .....

..... Registered Member

I did that earlier and then tried the "check for updates" - it found no updates, i think its safe to do so.

7. squid13

squid13 Registered Member

I thought I'd download it and give it a try since it's now 64 bit. When I started to install it was going to install in the Program File x86 or 32 bit. If this is 64 bit why doesn't it install in the Program File for 64 bit. The other programs that are 64 bit, the installer determines weather you have 32 or 64 and installs in the appropriate file.

8. stratoc

stratoc Guest

there are a few programs that do the same. 64 bit dr web installs in the x86 program files. when you explore you should find 64 bit program/engine in it's files.

9. squid13

squid13 Registered Member

That's probably it, I'll give it another go. Would there be a lot of conflict between Mamutu and ThreatFire if both were installed on the same machine.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  10. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

Mamutu 3.0 is not a native x64 application (only those install in x64 folder). The binaries are 32 bit but use 64 bit drivers to enable the behavior blocker engine on x64 systems.

There would not be any advantage in protection or speed if we port it completely to x64 native code.

11. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Fantastic program. Due for renewal in a few days, will gladly spend the cash on this. :thumb:

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

ThreatFire has been 64bit for quite a while so this isn't the first BB available for 64bit systems...

13. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

Nobody said that actually. ;)

Most behavior blockers are running with limited features on x64. In Mamutu 3.0 there is no difference in 32 and 64 bit use.

14. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

@ guest, still got that microjoin exploit then run it against Mamatu.

Not a peep from Mamatu at default settings here?

15. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I got an email about it:

16. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

so how is this Mamutu on resources? its been a looong time since i've run any resident a/v, a/t, hips or whatever you're calling them these days. Win7 x64 + LUA + UAC + DEP + SEHOP + Firewall + Common Sense has been enough to keep me 100% clean for the past 2+ years. <knocks wood>

but I would consider adding some realtime stuff if it's lightweight and x64 native which this seems to be. I remember wanting to run Online Armor years and years ago when it was still in beta (2005 or 2006?) but I never could because I was on x64.

17. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

You can run Mamutu on its own. Very light. Probably first couple of days there's a delay, but once it analyses the common processes launching/running, you don't notice it's there.

Not with copying and pasting, browsing, nothing. I noticed the 'hijackfree' element in it is quicker to load now, and the window can be resized. Interface is quicker than before.

I know personal AV tests aren't for everyone, but you'll see on youtube, Mamutu on its own blocks the majority of threats, most videos, blocks all threats. To me, it running alone is enough with the occasional on-demand scan.

With your setup, give it a go. Just make sure you give it a couple of days to settle in. I haven't had to exclude any processes from being monitored, but if you were using photoshop a lot for example, which isn't being targeted by malware writers, could always exclude these processes.

18. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

It would be very interesting if someone 'd test it with malwares and rootkits.:)

19. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

There are some real malware tests available on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cWaxmo24iI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_285iaRGd8o

But they missed an important thing: Default action on Mamutu alerts is to block the alerted behavior, but let the file remain inactively on disk.

That makes the verfication scans with other scanners at the end a bit useless. All malware files are of course still there, but not active. If the reviewers would have used the quarantine option on the alerts, the files would have been gone.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i did test it with malware like a month ago ofcourse with high security level and it got them all like people testify;) :thumb:

21. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Quite probably there would be,it's never advisable to run 2 products of the same type in real-time IMO.

22. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

one thing I noticed with the freeware (emergency kit) was that it is not multi-monitor compatible. By this I mean the windows & menus are positioned "off screen" partially so they are impossible to navigate. The only way I was able to solve this was to temporarily disable 2 of my external displays. I don't know if this affects the paid version as well but I would guess they share common code base. Would want to get that resolved before I purchased it......anyone else using it on multi monitors?

23. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Took off Avast, just loaded Mamutu 3.0 trial. I keep looking for a way around using A-V's, maybe this will be a good match for Sandboxie and Prevx, if I do on-demand scans every few days.

EDIT: Mamutu is using 30,000k to start. Not experiencing any slowdowns.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  24. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I have an active Mamutu icon in my taskbar now, with the glowing box around it. When I hold the cursor over it, it pops up a window that says Mamutu Alert at the top, but nothing else in the box. Any idea how to get rid of this active icon in my taskbar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.